Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where in Europe should we travel in April (dates 7 - 14)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to visit Europe in April 7 - 14. We were planning on visiting Switzerland but after my husband found out how cold it is - we decided we should try some other place.

Myself haven't ever visited Europe in April so I would appreciate any guidance that you could provide.
We prefer travelling to western European countries. Nature is a must part of our trip.
Mountains, lakes, oceans etc... and someplace warm. We would love that.

Toni
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 12:35 PM

Toni, You will need to stay south. We have traveled Europe several times in April and I would suggest the Amalfi coast of Italy and even perhaps Sicily.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 12:35 PM

Keukenhof Garden and the flower fields around Lisse Netherlands will be in bloom then. Easy visit to get to by train and bus from Amsterdam.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 12:44 PM

Crete is glorious in April with irises blooming around walls of Minoan ruins and oleanders lining the roads. All of the Peloponnese, too, but I mention Crete first because the beaches on the south are quite warm by April.
Vera
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks bobthenavigator, danna and vera for your suggestions.

Do you think we could spend eight days in any one of these places.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 02:04 PM

i am currently in vienna, and i cannot believe more people do not recommend this - side trips to the vienna woods and the danube valley offer ample nature experiences, but the city itself is so elegant and low-key, and endless amounts to do. cannot recommend it highly enough
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Spain is beautiful in April - especially in the South - before it gets too hot.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 03:37 PM

We almost ALWAYS travel to Europe in April, ( and the end of Oct).....the very best time we think, though we love cool, rainy weather.(coming from Texas it feels good to us.)There are a lot less tourists,and you can stay in nice hotels , B&B's etc for a lot less $$$. We have been three times to Scotland and England in April and it was great. France is good......Last year we were two weeks in the Sorrento area of Italy (in MARCH), and it was great...all along the Almalfi coast, Capri etc. One other year we were also in March in Tuscany, (Sienna) and although we had a couple of cold rains, for the most part the weather was great (but not warm.) We have even been to Switzerland in April (and November)...though if you want someplace warm the above advice of "sticking to the SOUTH of Europe is probably good....like Southern Italy. It is wonderful!!! If we went in March, then mid April should be a lot warmer.
Portugal is another wonderful choice. We lived there for 2 yrs. in the 70's and I remember April as being beautiful.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 05:32 PM

Last year in April, I spent my month in Croatia, Italy, and Greece. For the most part the weather was lovely. The Amalfi Coast did have a bit of rain at that time, but it was never cold when I was there. Perfect for scootering those crazy roads!
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 08:29 AM

You are going to Europe in about 2 weeks, and don't know where yet? Wow...I'm impressed...I'm way too controlling to not know where i am going! Do you have tickets yet? Where are you flying in and out of...that might help us make suggestions.

Anne
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 08:36 AM

I would split the time between Rome and the Amalfi coast--they are about 3 hours apart by train or car.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 01:29 PM

In answer to the question could you spend eight days--Definitely YES for Crete. Great variety in a small space, sports, beaches, Minoan ruins, museums, music, bars, mountains, forests, etc. etc. etc. And if you get itchy feet you can take the ferry to Santorini for a couple of days.
Vera