Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is first two weeks of april an OK time to go to europe

Jan 30th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

We're finalizing our agenda and ready to start booking plane tickets and hotel rooms for the first two weeks of april.We've done quite a bit research online and looked at advice on this forum.

This is the trip:
Vienna: Apr 1 - Apr 4
Venice: Apr 5 - Apr 9
Interlaken: Apr 9 - Apr 12
Munich: Apr 13 - 17

I know a little later would be warmer but this is the only time we can work in vacation time. And I know this a lot to cover in two weeks.

But wondering if there's a big reason why going to these cities on those dates is a bad idea?
ie. a big event (world cup game), weather problems (flooding)
Jan 31st, 2006, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

No concerns?
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:15 PM
rex

personally, i would not go to switzerland in mid april... just like i would not go to aspen...

neither winter nor spring

Best wishes,

Rex
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:23 PM

My trips to Europe have always been in either April or Nov/Dec timeframe. I've seen gorgeous weather in April and I've seen snow. We drove a rental cal last April and thought we were goint to traverse one of the passes in Switzerland... it was closed. It was necessary to go to Plan B. Just be ready for changing weather and you will be fine.
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:23 PM
mjs

I too would skip Interlaken in April.
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:29 PM

Europe consisting of London, Paris, Belgium in late March a few years ago - rained, rained, rained and the Seine flooded. Still loved it, though. Just put on a raincoat.
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:32 PM

April is a great time to travel anyplace in Europe...April and Oct. is when we usually go. But then you might get pretty chilly,damp weather, (might NOT).
ONE THING, however, that we've learned over the years is that you might find yourself "tangling" with the EAster crowd. The schools are often on Holiday the week before and/or the week after..and it is April 16 this year. Lots of European kids traveling around with families, but nothing like July or August would be. It's really not a bad time however, if that is the only time you can go. Prices are usually lower with accommodations etc., and it's truly a fun time.
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

So the main issue with interlaken in April is the weather?
Or are some of the activities closed?
For instance we want to take the lifts up into the swiss alps and maybe go rafting.
We weren't planning on skiing.
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:01 PM

My annual trip is always in the last two weeks of March or first two weeks of April, or some combination thereof. In fact, I'll be in Munich just a few days before you this year.

We've seen rain, fog, 60 degrees and sunshine, you name it. Much like any other time of the year.

Go, enjoy the relative dearth of tourists, and bring a raincoat.
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:03 PM

Posted too soon - I was also in Venice last year during the exact same week as your plans this year. We had some sunshine and some rain. Seeing the city in those contrasts was very nice.
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:10 PM

I agree with Rex about Switzerland in mid-april...but I would go to Aspen anytime, every chance I can get