COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Where are you?

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Where are you?

Now don't go getting all irritated...This is Not completely un-Travel related, I am wondering on this fine autumn day, where you are and how is the weather?
Is Autumn beautiful there?
Does your town/city celebrate Autumn with some sort of event?
Thanks
Scarlett, Jacksonville Florida, sunny, 70's and windy. But no fall leaves.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Lily, Elimsport, Pennsylvania

Wonderfully cool crisp Autumn day, lots of red and gold and orange leaves and sunshine!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:18 AM

San Diego, CA, 70s, sunny
(oh, but I'm stuck indoors working!)

C'est la vie!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Madison, Wisconsin -

High of around 60 today, overcast (after several days of bright, blue skies, however). The leaves are beeeeyouteefull!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:25 AM

I'm in my office. We had some gorgeous days, but it's cloudy now, and there's a chance of rain for the next few days. It's seasonably cool here in Michigan, and the leaves are about 50% colorful and 50% still green. Two more weeks til "peak color".

The town I live in has a fall festival, which was on a weekend I was in Rome. The town I work in has a game almost every week in an enormous college football stadium, with a big yellow M on it!

Autumn is very beautiful here IMO. There is a cider mill 8 miles away from my house, and another one a mile or two further. In the "town square" of the town I live in, there's a competition in which businesses put up costumed scarecrows. They just put them up the other day, and they're cute. My fall harvest wreath is hanging on our front door, where it will stay until Thanksgiving Day, when it will be replaced by the Christmas wreath I made....
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:26 AM

Wilmington, Delaware. Overcast right now, but has been terrific! High 60's during the day, 40's at night, and low humidity.
From my window at work, mostly all green still, tired and dark green.
Waaay over there .... though, is 1 bright red tree.
I love my "place" but for this weekend? I wish I could be somewhere else! <GRIN>
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:27 AM
P_M

Austin, TX, it's cloudy and humid, temps in the 70's. Autumn is nothing special here, as most of the leaves turn yellow, and not the beautiful reds which are found in some parts of the world. I just looked out the window, and most leaves are still green. If only I were in New England right now....
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Honolulu, Hawaii

It's a little early yet to be seeing exactly what the weather is going to be like later, but it's supposed to be the same as yesterday - high 80s, no trades, high humidity = miserable. Hopefully the trades will return in a few days.

Autumn here is close to the same as the rest of the seasons.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Does my town sponsor an autumn event?
Well, not Wilmington per se, but the State sponsors a real doozy...

The "punkin chunkin" contest...where one builds a contraption and see's how far one can "toss" a pumpkin.

Also, there is the Apple Scrapple Festival. I haven't been, but have been told there is a "Scrapple Chunkin" contest.. eeeewwweeee!!! Gross.

Scrapple is sort of a pate..odd and varied pig parts, herbs and corn meal... "the caviar of the mid-atlantic"!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Cincinnati, OH

'Tis rainy & blah today. My mind turns to thoughts of a drive to Chicago and a jaunt thru the Art Institute to view again the huge Caillebotte painting that so overwhelmed me the first time I viewed it. Isn't the Jazz Fest coming 'round there soon?

Other yearnings include a drive thru New England states sometime within the next coupla weeks to view the lovely autumn colors, but alas, money IS an issue now. SIGH!

But no fests here. Those were last month.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Bookchick - The maize and the blue, I presume. What a wonderful place to live or to visit in the fall! Washington, DC, is cloudy and cool from my office window overlooking the Mall and the Washington Monument. I can't complain, the weather has been beautiful recently - in Washington, in Paris and in Andalucia.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:37 AM

In the woods just north of San Francisco. Weather is as perfect as it gets: sunny, 70's, but unfortunately high fire danger as we are at the end of the dry season.

You have to live here at least 5 years to be able to sense the difference that autumn brings. Just a bit crisper, a bit chillier at night.

I suppose the Mill Valley Film Festival is our autumn event!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:56 AM

Scarlett, I wasn't a bit irritated. In fact, as I clicked on the title I thought "I am always a sucker for these nontravel topics." And a topic that illicits responses from both beatchick AND bookchick can't be all bad!
I am sitting in my office in beautiful Chadds Ford, PA where the weather has been very nice - high 60's and mostly sunny. The trees are still green though for the most part.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Beatchick, unfortunately, the Jazz Fest is always Labor Day weekend. However, a new exhibit is opening this weekend at the Field Museum that sounds very interesting (Oct. 15 - Feb. 13).

Today's Tribune: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...1,356324.story

Today's Sun-Times:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...s-field13.html

http://www.fieldmuseum.org/

And, the Film Festival goes through the 21st:

http://www.chicagofilmfestival.org

And, the Christkindlmarket will open up Nov. 25.

(Not that I'm promoting Chicago on the Europe board.)

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:59 AM

Oops! The Field Museum exhibit is called "Machu Picchu: Unveiling the Mystery of the Incas".
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Bethany Beach , Delaware
The trees are just starting to get some color although I'm surrounded with Loblolly pines so not very colorful from where I sit.
Events October 29-31 - 15th Annual Sea Witch Halloween & Fiddler's Festival just up the road .
Also close by
http://www.atbeach.com/punkinchunkin/
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 10:16 AM

Central New Hampshire - and the foliage is at it's peak right now with lots of brilliant reds and oranges . The sky is clear and the temps are in the mid 60's. An absolutely perfect New England day!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Denver, Colorado - sunny and in the upper 40s, no humidity to speak of (as usual). It has been in the 60s by and large for the last few weeks and should warm back up soon - perfect weather!

The mountains are already dusted with a layer or two of snow and the foliage at elevations above 6000 feet has already peaked (the last 2 weeks of September). I'd say Denver and Boulder is hitting its peak right about now - I live at about 5500 feet and the trees are gorgeous right now!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Scarlett -- oddly enough, I too am in Jacksonville, Florida! Aren't you glad it's finally cooled off?!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Central Mass - It's gorgeous out there. Mid 60's, I guess.

Leaves are just starting to hit their peak.

No celebrations that I can think, although there are tons and tons of stands selling pumpkins, hay and cornstalks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO