When will the airfares go down?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to book Paris for mid-October. I'm only finding fares around $600-$800 from Denver. Do you think they'll go down after the first of October? Wish I could go after first of November when the prices do drop, but that silly ole work schedule doesn't allow. Thanks in advance for any in site.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 06:34 AM

October, especially the first half, is still a pretty popular travel time (that's often when I travel) and air fare bargains tend to be unusual rather than usual. you could always try for some last minute late booking deal, but you have to be able to change your dates if that doesn't work out.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 07:32 AM

Watch your local newspapers for fare sales. AA just had one from SFO to Paris--$370 off the price that we paid last fall.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 08:04 AM
ira

Hi ky

>Do you think they'll go down after the first of October?<

Nope.

$600 isn't all that bad.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If you want to be a tad looney about it, go lurk on the "Mileage Run" board at www.flyertalk.com. Those folks find out about cheap fares before Amadeus or Sabre it seems...

Also you might want to sign up for Yahoo's or Travelocity's (the same) "fare watcher" service, and don't forget to look at DEN-NYC and NYC-CDG fares too - if there are $139 sales to New York, then $199 sales from NY to Paris, adding two RTs may end up cheaper than a DEN-CDG ticket. You may have to schlep bags or go from one NY airport to another (so allow time) but it's not at all uncommon to be able to save a couple hundred bucks doing it that way. Those shorter transatlantic (and US domestic) flights have a higher chance of occuring earlier in the year anyway.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 08:35 AM

I don't think fares go down in October that much, only in November. I mean, they may be down from peak summer season, but I think the fares you are finding already are reflecting that as they are lower than they would have been in July-August. If you found a $600 RT fare to Paris from Denver, I think that is pretty cheap, and wouldn't expect you are going to find anything much better.

I wouldn't think fares would drop after Oct 1st for flights within a couple weeks of that date -- they will probably be very high as last minute fares usually are.

US Airways is having a pretty good Europe sale right now, if you buy by Monday, but it's for November and later, I think. Even their sale fare is $500 for Nov-Dec for your route, so I don't think you should complain about $600.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 08:36 AM

I had been waiting and watching for tickets fron ATL to Venice (changing in CDG)and then returning from Rome - traveling mid Oct. Finally the prices dropped just a little so I went ahead and bought as I wanted certain flights. Another poster on this board said that demand is pretty high for this fall so not many sales were expected. My flight from Atl to CDG is midweek and not very full but the return from Rome to Atl on a Sunday doesn't have many empty seats. Maybe I could have gotten cheaper if I'd waited but I doubt I'd have gotten the convenient flights. Good luck!