Fall Paris Flight

May 7th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Fall Paris Flight

To book or not to book?

I found a flight for $611 RT from Minneapolis to Paris this fall. This is the total including all taxes and such. We are flying in and out on weekends, so there is an extra $50 charge included. (Orginal price was $470). The flights I have been watching have been around $528 + tax, but are now no longer available. I did a seach on Hotwire and got a total price of $601. This is without knowing the times or airline. I think I'd rather know for the extra $10.

I see fares are quite low right now to Paris ($300 in some cases), but because my mom's schedule is not flexible, we do have to depart and return on these specific dates. In your humble opinions, do you think it is best to book this flight or wait it out a while longer...

Thanks for the advice!
May 7th, 2003, 11:38 AM

IMHO if you have specific dates that you must fly you should book a decent price when you can get one. This price seems OK. I would compare it to www.icelandair.com and if it's better than what they offer I would buy! Or become flexible in my travel dates.

May 7th, 2003, 11:40 AM

I'd wait just a little while and put yourself on all the "fare watcher" thingies on Travelocity, Expedia, etc. When a good fare comes up, jump on it. Hotwire is a good site and folks have talked about skyauction.com also.
May 7th, 2003, 02:24 PM

$611 from MSP to CDG is pretty normal for that time of year. I typically travel in spring or fall and watch the fares. It is a gamble whether to book now or wait until a couple months before. You run the risk of not getting the day/flights you want. I think the policies have recently changed, but I used to book when the fare got below $700 and then got vouchers from NWA when the fares dropped. The cheapest I found in the spring/fall was $550. I know winter flights are cheaper.
May 7th, 2003, 04:27 PM

MSP-CDG for $611 before LATE fall isn't too bad and it's probably very similar to the $528 + tax you were comparing it to. While it is POSSIBLE that you will see a lower fare pop up in the months to come, I agree with the previous poster; there is no guarantee. If the FF miles are useful to you, then that is also something to factor into the equation, along with good connections, etc. Northwest Airlines dominates MSP so the fares don't tend to sink as low on Paris flights as you might see from Chicago O'Hare, for example. If I was in your shoes and I had my heart set on a trip, I would lock in with no regrets. (In fact, I just MIGHT! LOL!)

If you are booking Northwest, I know they were still providing vouchers on some types of fare drops as recently as this spring, since I received one on a Paris flight. Again, these things are subject to change and certain conditions, so there are no guarantees.

In any case, you will have a wonderful time in Paris and it will be well worth the fare, I'm sure.
May 7th, 2003, 08:43 PM

British Airways may still be having a sale, so I'd check out their website first--britishairways.com and see. We got a great fare with them for Nov. (Seattle-Malaga RT for $449). Good luck.
May 7th, 2003, 09:01 PM

Be sure to check out Go-today.com. I have yet to find anyone who can beat their air/hotel package deals. We've had two great trips through them.
May 7th, 2003, 09:39 PM

I'm with Doug. Shop like the dickens and book right now, if you want convenient flights on specific dates.
May 7th, 2003, 10:33 PM

americaine - I just did some quick searches using random good fall travel dates, and did not find anything under $950. Especially if travelling with mother, I would book it. I also fly out of MSP, and the past two trips to Paris, my flights were under $470, but I don't see any of those deals popping up right now.

Have a great trip!

May 8th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice!

We decided to book the flight, no regrets. This way, we get the dates and times we want, etc. As the saying go, "The best flight is not always the cheapest flight." I am quite excited that since both hotel and flight are now booked we are pretty much set to go!

Thanks again and HAPPY TRAVELS!
May 8th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Bootman4U

Well, console yourself with the fact that your flight IS the cheapest flight for when you wanted to travel and now you can concentrate completely on all the wonderful anticipation that comes with getting ready for your trip.