when to go to scotland

Jan 31st, 2004, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

when to go to scotland

My hubby and I wouldl are planning a trip to Scotland in the next year. We were wondering when the best time of the year to go. We are both in oour mid 20's and would like to spend a few days in Glasgow and a few more days in Edinburgh.
Jan 31st, 2004, 04:53 PM

Well - really any time is good. But taking into account weather, airfares, crowds, and length of daylight hours probably the very best times would be late May through the end of June, with Sept through early October being a reasonable second.

The looooong days in June make is a wonderful time in Scotland and the crowds don't really show up until mid/late July.

August is a special case especially in Edinburgh. The town literally doubles in size because of all the festivals and the tattoo and all prices go up and there are 3 or 4 night minimums in most B&Bs and hotels. So unless you plan on attending the Edinburgh Festival/Tattoo it is best to avoid August.
Feb 1st, 2004, 12:54 AM

If you're meaning only to do Glasgow and Edinburgh, then anytime's fine. I'd probably pick June myself.

But if you want to see the countryside try May/June or September. August in Edinburgh, if you're not there for the Festical is sheer purgatory
Feb 1st, 2004, 04:09 AM
Sylvia

For Glasgow and Edinburgh, I'd avoid July and August unless you are attending the Festival. For the countryside, May or June would be fine because of the light nights. I've seen midgies still around in early September so perhaps mid-September/early October would be better.

Feb 1st, 2004, 06:33 AM

I was in Scotland in Sept 2002 for 6 days, NO RAIN.. Most of the locals said that we were very luck!

I would not spend a long time in Glasgow. Try to go to the countryside.. and don't miss the Urqhart Castle, on the border of Lockness.. AMAZING!!!

Sterling is also a very nice day trip from Edinburg..