Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's with Pensione Calcina in Venice? they don't respond!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:35 PM
jc

I tried to book a room at the Pensione La Calcina in Venice for late Sept., I went to their website, filled out a booking request and didn't get a reply. Afetr 2 days I tried again, using a different email address for them to respond, and again no reply.<BR><BR>Does anyone have the same problem with this hotel? I tried the Galleria, Residenzia and Accademia, and they all responded within a day. I guess now I won't stay at the Calcina even if they have a room, based on their non-responsiveness which may be a bad sign.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Pam

Don't give up on La Calcina! The non-responsiveness is a mystery. Try again I say and if all else fails either fax or call them. They do, for the most part, speak some English. This hotel is a gem with good attention to detail.<BR>We stayed here for 6 days this past October and thought it was a gem of a place. Do make certain their construction is completed however. They have good canal view rooms at the front of the pensione. It's in a great neighborhood and a quick walk to the &quot;taxi&quot; to the airport.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 06:06 AM
jc

Calcina finally replied after 2 enquiries and a few days, and they want the first night's rent as a deposit (i have to send them a cheque). I plan to stay 3 nights.<BR><BR>Is this unusual?? I have friends who stayed in Venice before and I have checked other Venice hotels on the web, they all just want the credit card number to secure a room, but never ask to pay in advance the first night's rent.<BR><BR>What so special about this hotel???

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 06:40 AM
debbie

We booked a room for three nights at the Accademia in June 2003 and they also demanded first night deposit paid in cash up front. They must have had huge problem with people reserving and canceling at last minute. Now we all have to pay for people double and triple booking.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Betsy

Don't worry about their request for a check. We stayed there in Oct. 2001 and sent a check to cover one night's stay, as requested. They either gave the check back to us or credited us with the amount at check out, I forget which. This hotel is ethical. It's a wonderful place to stay, and if you're lucky enough to find that they have availability, jump on it. Wish I were there right now!<BR><BR>By the way, if you do a search, many posts will come up from the archives about this hotel. It's a Fodor favorite in Venice.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 06:50 AM
just a

I would not be too quick to jump on the reason for up front payment as being caused by last minute cancellations but rather the poor management and cash flow problems of some small hotels.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 09:40 AM
John

Debbie: This is puzzling. I also booked the Hotel Penzione Accademia, but it's for sept., I only gave them my VISA number to reserve the room (3 nights), and they never asked me to pay first night upfront. Why the inconsistency??

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 09:45 AM
debbie

I asked twice if I could reserve with credit card and they said no must be check. So I sent it and figured all I had read about hotel led me to believe it is an honorable place. I wonder if June is really busy and they can get away with requiring cash deposit. Any one else have any experience with sending them a check?

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 09:54 AM
John

Debbie: last month when I was looking for a hotel in Venice for Sept., I also asked for room at the Galleria and the Residenzia (in additon to Accademia) - they all had rooms and only required a VISA card number to hold the room.<BR><BR>Maybe it depends on the time of the year? I still find it strange bacuse if the customer is a no-show, they will go ahead and charge the credit card, so looks like this is not a guarantee for no show, but cash flow problem??

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 10:14 AM
kite

I with a friend stayed at both Accademia and La Calcina from 29 November, 2 nights each. Accademia was closing from 1st December so I thought I could try La Calcina for the last 2 nights. I reserved them 3 months in advance and neither of them asked for any prepayment. I just filled their booking form on their site including my credit card number and they charged it after my check-out. I don’t remember any mention of cancellation condition on the confirmation from Accademia. La Calcina’s did say “in case of cancellation later than 3 days before your check-in day, we will charge 1st night”. I made a few e-mail exchanges with both before deciding which room to take. Their answers were always within 24 hours. So I had no problem with receiving replies from them nor with deposit but if you feel uncomfortable with the reactions by La Calcina, perhaps you should pick one of the other hotels.<BR><BR>A few comparison on these two hotels. <BR>Accademia : Better buffet breakfast at a larger and more Venecian like d&eacute;cor breakfast room , My room was facing a nice small canal and I could see a bit of Grand Canal from the 3 windows I had. Nice furniture and a big colorful Venetian glass chandelier. The bathroom was tiny with only a shower booth. Pepople at the recption were courteous.<BR>155 euro per night including breakfast for this standard double room. At the moment of the original booking, I had asked them to put us on a waiting list for a more spacious superior double (166 Euro) because such rooms had been booked out at that time and finally there was no cancellation that we could take advantage of. A very charming hotel and I would stay there again.<BR><BR>La Calcina : This hotel faces the Guidecca Canal, much wider than the Grand Canal. The breakfast room smaller. Also is the d&eacute;cor of the breakast room rather English? The corner double room we had reserved had 2 windows on the Giudecca Canal and 1 on a side canal. This would have been a fabulous view if there had not been the construction site which I will mention later. The room was larger than the one at Accadenmia. The bathroom large too with a bathtub. The furniture was more simple(rustic?) with a modest monotone Venetian glass like chandelier. A let down; A huge construction site in front of the hotel. When you are at the ground floor level (reception, breakfast room), you can’t see the Giudecca Canal because of the wood barrier which surrounds the construction. Fortunately from our 1st floor(European), we coluld see beyond the barrier, the canal and a bit of the Giudeccca Island. It was fun to see a big cruise line boat pass beyond our window before dawn while still lying in bed. We did not hear noise from the construction big enough to really annoy us during our stay. But this construction site looked quite big that it could take morfe than a few month to terminate. The reception was helpful enough. Our double room was 145 Euro per night including breakfast. I don’t regret to have stayed at la Calcina and once the construction is over I would not hesitate to stay there again though I have a slight preference on Accademia.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 11:50 AM
xxx

Personally I don't want to deal with a hotel that wants a check deposit. They ask for this because they want a firm committment from the guest. If you reserve with a c/c you can always cancel although there are penalties. But I don't like the hassle of sending checks in the mail.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 11:56 AM
jack

I have found that many popular hotels dont answer Emails if they dont have room&gt;Get a cheap phone card and for 50 cents to 1 dollare you can call them by phone.If they have room they will send confirmation by e mail.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 12:13 PM
elsewhere

I have stayed there twice but in maybe 1996 &amp; 99. Both times I made my reservation via fax. I was in Switzerland at the time and arriving Venice within a few days so a check was not requested, but I'm sure I gave them a charge card number.<BR><BR>Pensione La Calcina is a hidden gem. Truly a perfect place to stay in Venice. Honestly you seem frustrated about dealing with them, so I *would* pick a different hotel. Once you have feelings like this, it's going to be harder for them (the hotel) to do anything right for you.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 12:32 PM
jc

Frustration? yes. If &quot;jack&quot; is correct, then honestly it is unprofessional for a hotel to not bother to respond when they have no room, when a potential customer fills out a booking form as requested in their website.<BR><BR>The other thing, as pointed out, is the inconsistency of these hotels: the same hotel would ask for c/c to secure room for some customers, and ask for cheque deposit for others. That's a strange way to do business.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 11:57 AM
elsewhere

Think about it... how would i be able to send a check or money order to them, when i was making a reservation only a few days in advance and was already in Europe?<BR><BR>My best advice for the JC the original poster, is don't sweat the small stuff. Truly, if you try to analyze why things in Italy do or don't work like they do (or don't!) you'll drive yourself nuts on your trip.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 02:06 PM
relax

I booked a room at the Pensione La Calcina. They responded within 24 hours. I have also e-mailed them with other questions, and each time they have responded promptly. Have you ever considered the error was on your side. Also, I lived in Europe for several years. Americans always want things to run as they do here in the U.S. One of the pleasures of traveling is to experience another culture. Please stay at any hotel other then La Calcina. I don't want you to ruin it for everyone.