Reload this Page >

What's there to do in Frankfurt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 09:55 PM
Denise

My husband and I are hoping to soon take advantage of our Space A privileges following his recent retirement from the Army Reserves. Looks like our first trip may be to Frankfurt. Since Germany has never really interested me that much (I'm an Anglophile), I would be interested in hearing some suggestions for daytrips, etc. should we find ourselves in Frankfurt for 2, 3 or 4 days. <BR><BR>Also, what's the best (i.e., quickest and cheapest) way to get to Paris from Frankfurt?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR><BR>Denise<BR>htt p://www.angelfire.com/sc/tealover<BR><BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 03:57 AM
Ann

Well, the good news is, the trip is free. The bad news is, you may have to wait awhile to get aboard. I think you'll find most people try to stay on base to be as near as possible to the terminal for "show times." So daytrips probably won't be much of an option for you. If you can, you should get out of town and take the train along the Rhine; you can go into the old section of Frankfurt, which is interesting, or to the Palmengarten or zoo. There will be local info available at the terminal, along with ground transportation info, but the train to Paris would probably be best for you - just go over to the Frankfurt Int'l airport terminal and you'll be on your way.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:19 AM
christina

If Germany doesn't really interest you, why don't you try to fly into another base, Italy, Spain, UK, Iceland??? If you stick with Frankfurt, Germany is wonderful and there's a ton of stuff to do around the area. I know several people have posted information fairly recently so do a search on here for some great tips.... plus, if your main idea is hitting Paris, I would fly into Ramstein instead of Rhein Main... you'll be closer.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:04 AM
Denise

&gt;Well, the good news is, the trip is &gt;free. The bad news is, you may have &gt;to wait awhile to get aboard. I think &gt;you'll find most people try to stay &gt;on base to be as near as possible to &gt;the terminal for "show times." So &gt;daytrips probably won't be much of an &gt;option for you. <BR><BR>*Our plans are to stay in Frankfurt for 2 or 3 days before attemtping to catch a hop back home to SC, that's why I was asking about daytrip info, etc. <BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>&gt;If Germany doesn't really interest &gt;you, why don't you try to fly into &gt;another base, Italy, Spain, UK, &gt;Iceland??? <BR><BR>*Because there are no flights going there from where we live.<BR><BR><BR>Thanks to both of you!<BR><BR><BR>Denise<BR>http://www.angelfire.com/sc/tealover<BR><BR> <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:14 AM
Art

Denise, there are some nice day trips from Frankfurt. You could take a Rheine cruise, take the train to Heidleberg, visit Mainz or Weisbaden, take a train to Nurenberg. The Rheine is very pretty. You could even take the river cruise get off and spend the night at Rudisheim and return on either a cruise of train the next day.<BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:35 AM
trying

Maybe I misunderstood, but if you have as many as four days, you could get out of Frankfurt and, for example, spend a night or more on the Rhine or, in the other direction, Rothenburg. That said, you could actually do some of the same thing by keeping a base in Frankfurt and venturing out (which is maybe what you are already planning). I don't know if it is the absolute quickest route to Paris, but we trained from Frankfurt, to Mainz, spent the night in Bacharach, trained to Koblenz and along the Mosel (sp?), spending the night in Trier, then to Paris via Lux. Consider touring Rhinefels or Burg Eltz, and visiting Cochem or other towns along the way.....

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:58 AM
jojo

Denise: There is a terrific SPACE-A chat board that is much better than Fodors for military travellers. I don't have the url handy, but do a search for Dirk Peppard Space A Chat and you'll find it. Really a wonderful group of people and so helpful.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:02 AM
Denise

Thanks everyone for your help; I'll continue to check responses.<BR><BR>Thanks for info on Space A chat forum -- I'm headed there right now ...

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:05 AM
jojo

Denise- here is the url http://pepup.hypermart.net/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:04 AM
Jenny

Rick Steves just wrote a piece about warming up to Frankfurt.<BR><BR>http://www.ricksteves.com/news/0207/frankfurt.htm

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:32 PM
Sue

Denise, I consider myself an Anglophile also, but I loved Germany. Another post mentioned Rothenberg and I, too, can wholeheartedly recommend a visit there. It is an ancient walled city with stunning views of the Tauber Valley. You could continue on into Bavaria and visit some of "Mad" Ludwig's castles (Linderhof, Neuschwanstein), too.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:56 AM
Ann

Ah, now I get it! Sorry, when you mentioned finding yourself there for a few days, I assumed you meant while you were waiting to get a flight! Well, if you have time, then an easy train ride to Heidelberg would be a great way to spend one day. Definitely take a Rhine cruise from Bingen and train back (there are lots of posts w/specifics if you do a search). Then if you still have longer, take a train to Trier (do a search on that, too) and stay overnight on the Mosel in the oldest city in Germany, with its many Roman monuments and a wonderful museum. Best wishes, Ann