Reload this Page >

suggestions for Stresa

Search

suggestions for Stresa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:31 PM
ginny

suggestions for Stresa

Hope some of you can help. My daughter is on her honeymoon in Stresa at Villa D'Aminta. Any suggestions for them on where to eat in while in Stresa (2 nights). Have any of you stayed at this hotel?<BR><BR>Lastly, they need to purchase train tickets from Italy to Cologne, Germany - should they purchase direct tickets or a eurail pass? Better right at train station or thru travel agency? They are going from Stresa to Cologne, Germany then on to Amsterdam.<BR><BR>Thanks for any help you might give.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:38 PM
Cathy

Ginny, I just replied to another question about restaurants in Stresa that was posted tonight. Please refer to that post for some suggestions. We haven't stayed at that hotel, but the town is small, so I'm sure the restaurant recommendations would work.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:49 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Ginny, I know that hotel well--it is very nice but has become pricey in the last year. As for good eats, a small place called Papagallo in town is nice, and Al Rustico on the hill above town is very good. For the train, buy point to point at the local station.<BR>I am a sucker for honeymoons. Oh yes, try to have lunch at Hotel Verbano on Isola Pescatori--have the pesce di giorno--whatever it may be.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:12 PM
Stcirq

Ginny: Papagallo is great, but it gets crowded early in high season, so go around 7:30 or so. Al Rustico is a good suggestion, but plan for slooooooowww service.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:18 PM
Cathy

Al Rustico is one of my recommendations. We didn't find it slow, but then, we were having a good time with our friends.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:04 PM
Ann

I second Bob's suggestion for lunch at Hotel Verbano on Isola Pescatori. WE had the best grilled lake trout with oregano! To die for! The view is overlooking the lake and Isola Bella. Very romantic

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:17 AM
Joe

ginny: Have them take a ferry or water taxi out to Isola dei Pescatori (about five minute ride) to the Hotel Verbano. Dinner on the beautiful terrace facing Isola Bella with the lights of Stresa twinkling in the background is as romantic as it gets. "Hotels and Country Inns of Character and Charm In Italy" calls it "magical". It was.