Search

Leave Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 04:31 PM
blemke

Leave Frankfurt

Hi,<BR>We will flying into Frankfurt and would like<BR>to take a one day cruise on the Rhine and spend a day in Heidelberg...could someone help me by suggesting where we should stay and how to get to these places...<BR>thanks

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Art

You can catch a train at the Frankfurt airport to Mainz. From there you can catch a cruise ship although depending the time of year they may not be running.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 09:27 PM
blemke

Hi,<BR>How would I get to Heidelberg from Mainz? do you have a suggestion for a place to stay in Mainz? do you know where in Mainz the boat leaves from?<BR>thanks for your information

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 03:01 AM
Harzer

To get to Mainz take a train direct from the airport in Frankfurt.<BR><BR>Take a train from Mainz to Heidelberg. The quickest ones leave at 13 minutes past the hour every hour and take about 50 minutes.<BR><BR>Mainz is also a good departure point for a cruise up to Rudesheim or Bingen.<BR><BR>I would therefore suggest getting a hotel room in Mainz. There are plenty advertised on the net under Mainz- Hotels.<BR>Harzer

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 08:11 AM
blemke

Hi,<BR>Thank you for taking the time to answer<BR>my questions with such great information

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Russ

blemke: The ships along the Rhine do not run in the off-season - when are you going?<BR><BR>Also, Mainz is probably NOT a good place to cruise from if you have only a day. The station is a long long walk from the docks. Also, the section of Rhine between Mainz and Bingen is completely flat and uneventful; much better to take a train at least as far as Bingen first, then cruise north past the castles and vineyards there; my favorite stretch is between Oberwesel and Braubach, roughly, past the Lorelei cliffs, the castles in St. Goar, and Marksburg Castle in Braubach (you can tour this one - never destroyed and open virtually all year: www.roadstoruins.com/marksburg.htm .<BR>The train will get you back from any of these stops rather easily.<BR><BR>Also: The fast trains will perhaps be what you need from Heidelberg, but you can ride the slower regional trains (RE, RB, SE) between Heidelberg and Bonn along the Rhine for 21 Euros/group of up to 5 on weekdays, 28 Euros on Sat and Sun, by getting daypasses; ask at the station for details and routing.