Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

7 hour layover in Frankfurt - what to do/see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

In late September my husband and I are flying home to Boston from Rome via Frankfurt. We learned today that Lufthansa has eliminated our originally scheduled flight and has bumped us to a later flight.

This gives us an 8 hour layover in Frankfurt, and neither of us has ever been there. My husband was frustrated but I think it's a great opportunity to see another city, albeit for a very short time.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what we could do/see (other than the airport) in 5 or 6 hours?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 08:05 PM

Frankfurt Airport is huge and you could spend 8 hours without being bored. But there is a lot to see within an hour or less in just about any direction of the airport. Frankfurt is about a 15 minute cheap train ride and from the main train station I would recommend going to see the friendly people in the tourist office for some ideas to spend four-five hours in the city. Have fun.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 08:51 PM

This subject has come up at least three times in the past two weeks. Suddenly, a lot of people seem to be getting stuck with lengthy Frankfurt layovers.

Consider taking the train to the Romer, which is the historic center of Frankfurt. Nothing is original there (except, I think, the Fountain of Justice, which is sort of the symbol of Frankfurt) because of WWII damage, but it is still worthwhile. You might also consider the Zeil, which is a pedestrian shopping district.

I seem to recall loosely describing the train/subway connections in a post about two weeks ago. You might try using the search function to look for recent threads on Frankfurt.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for you suggestions.

In my haste to post the question I forgot to search first for Frankfurt. I have since done that and did see some other ideas, including yours, smueller, which will help us plan our day.

Thanks again!