Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the difference between Fodor's "See It" and "Exploring" guides?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2009, 01:12 PM
TC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is the standard Fodor's guide, the "See It" guide and the "Exploring" guide. I have won two guides and can't decide which to tell Katie I would like. We are thinking about going to Spain. What's the major difference between these series? There isn't much information on the guidebook section of this web site.
Thanks
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 01:20 PM
yk

I recently got the Fodors See it Barcelona guide from my library. It's got lots of color photos - a bit like the DK Eyewitness guides, but has more description than DK (and lighter too). Haven't seen an Exploring guide yet.

Could you go to a bookstore and take a look to see which one you prefer? Also, I'd double check on the publishing dates on those guides. Some of the guidebooks in the Fodors bookstore site are a bit outdated...
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi TC,

I've been the lucky recipient three times now, and I tend to go for the latest guide for the next place I'm interested in, rather than the format.

alternatively use it to buy a big guide - such as Spain - which you can use for your trip-planning, then leave at home. that's what I did with the Italy guide, and it's proved really useful.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that "See It" is the replacement for "Exploring". Those books are for initial planning where you'd like to go, while the Gold Guides are what you use for picking hotels and restaurants, and that you're more likely to take with you.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 07:03 AM
TC
Original Poster

Thursdaysd, That makes sense. I couldn't understand why so many different guides to some locations. We are thinking of Spain and Portugal, so I'll ask Katie for the new Spain gold guide and the Portugal "See It" guide. Although that one is a bit older, it is the only guide offered for Portugal and how much could Portugal have changed?
Thanks.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Isn't there a Gold guide for Portugal? I certainly have one. I'd borrow the Exploring or See-It from the library (or hang out at your local bookstore with a cup of coffee), and get the Gold guide.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 08:10 AM

There is no up-to-date Fodor's Gold Guide to Portugal, unfortunately. But we do have an up-to-date Gold Guide to Spain, and it's going to be more detailed than the See It guide if you intend to use the book to help plan your trip. Exploring Guides are more into history and culture. See It's are meant to offer more useful information and be more directly competitive to the DK Eyewitness guides.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 09:41 AM

I'll admit that FOdors now has so many guides that it is confusing, so I peruse them in bookstores to see how they differ when I want one for a new place. I'll be honest, none of them really looks as good to me as just the basic Fodors guide to a country, so that's what I always end up getting. They just seem to only be for specific narrow interests or leave out a lot of stuff. I think you can't beat the regular country Fodors guidebooks, although I think they do some countries better than others.

I've been to Spain and viewed them all, and just bought the regular big one.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 09:45 AM

TC--just had to comment that I saw this topic and thought, "Oh, TC just had this question too---what a coincidence." I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to your email to me sooner. Not sure if I have anything to add; I personally prefer our "Gold guide" series (the regular big ones that Christina mentions) because I like the layout and how the info is presented.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
TC
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Katie, I just put out my release form to you today and requested the Gold Guide for Spain and the See It guide to Portugal? That seemed the best combination offered for our planning of those two countries....really the only combination offered.

O.K. how about this for a compromise. Send me the new Spain gold guide and the new Morrocco gold guide. Morocco seems like a nice addition to a trip to Spain and Portugal. I'll get the Portugal guide from my library or maybe a new one will come out before we make the trip.

Thanks, TC
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 10:12 AM

TC - I'd recommend the Lonely Planet guide for Portugal for up-to-date logistics info. Some people like the Rick Steves' guide, but he doesn't cover as much territory.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM

gee, I got educated on here as I thought the "gold guide" was yet something different than the regular big one. Fodor's gold guide to Spain is pretty good, I thought.