What's Capri like in November?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just booked a trip to Roma/Capri for the beginning of November. I noticed many hotels completely close end of Oct.
Is anything open? Any possibility of seeing the blue grotto?
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:33 PM

Seeing the blue grotto depends on the weather. The sea needs to be quite calm in order to get into the grotto and there are days all year long when its not possible. As you would imagine the weather in November is less likely to be good and there will be more days when the grotto is inaccesible - even if the boats are running (may not be if there are too few patrons). Also, you may not be able to get to Capri at all - if the sea is too rough the ferries do not run.
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:05 AM

Capri in November will be like the beach areas around NYC in November, temps will be only in the mid 50s. November is the rainiest month in that region of Italy, and as noted above, there will be wind associated with the rain. The island pretty much shuts down from late October until Easter because the weather is not very good. Most restaurants and hotels will be closed. The ferry runs on a reduced schedule. I would say the odds are good that it would be too rough to get into the Blue Grotto, plus a trip out and back by water in cool windy temps would not be that pleasant. You could of course be lucky and have a warm day, but the odds are against you.

I would stick with Rome, which is beautiful in November (although weather is much the same, just no tourists and IMO very romantic at that time of year, bare trees and wet cobblestones.) If you really want to go to the Amalfi coast, I would stick to a mainland town like Sorrento, Positano or Salerno, where there will be a little more going on and you can get to Pompeii and/or Paestum or Herculaum for a day. However, as with Capri you will find many of the better restaurants and hotels closed along the coast in November.
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:31 AM

nytraveler is quite right about the possibility of the boats not running to Capri in November. We were unable to get over for a planned day trip because the rough seas meant the boats weren't running.
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:54 AM
ira

Hi sparkle,

November is not a good time for the Amalfi Coast and Capri.

May I suggest a day in Naples and Pompeii if you feel you must leave Rome?
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:09 AM

Not that the other posters are wrong but my experience was completely different. My wife and I spent the week of Thanksgiving (so late in November) on the Amalfi Coast in 2002 and the weather was fantastic. Short sleeves during the day, light jacket at night. We also took the ferry to Capri from Sorrento and many of the stores were open.
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I think I will definitely go to Sorrento and see how Capri looks from there.
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:22 AM
ira

Hi spark,

You will be stopping in Naples on your way to Sorrento.

There are ferries and hydrofoils to Capri from Molo Beverello.

If Capri is not accessible, I suggest a day in Naples.