Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Capri's three star appeal still evident in November?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Various guides rate Capri as a principal sight for its small squares, white houses, moorish style alleyways and wild and lonely spots. Wouldn't those same sights be a draw in November as well?

Regarding whether ferries are running or not, do residents of Capri use them to commute to work in Napoli or Sorrento so they would most likely run except in the roughest of seas?

My husband and I are staying in Sorrento for 3.5 days the first week of November. My plan currently is to visit Pompeii and Naples, drive the AC on day and spend a day on Capri.

Thanks for any information you can give me to help decide whether we visit Capri as a daytrip the first Saturday in November or spend a second day in Naples. Deborah
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:24 AM

I visited Capri in November many years ago. It was incrediby quiet and lovely, although it was rainy. I had intended to spend the day, but the seas had become too rough to return to Sorrento, and we had to spend the night. Despite the weather, I fell in love with the island and returned almost 10 years later, this time in late September. I loved it at that time too.

I guess your enjoyment will depend on how much action you want. Personally, I would go in November and enjoy the lack of crowds.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:39 AM

Capri, Procida and Ischia all have many people who commute to Naples every day. The aliscafi run all day and into the night. They even have a few unscheduled in the middle of the night. They run all year.

I don't know what is open on Capri in November, I'm only familiar with Ischia, but the weather is still not cold. As the previous poster said, it can be rainy.

I can tell you from experience, if the seas are too rough to go back, enjoy your extra time in Capri. We took an aliscafo to Ischia when they should have cancelled it. It was a terrifying trip.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 06:04 AM

Hi Deborahann,

I just visited Capri mid-Sept and did NOT enjoy the crowds at all. I spent the first day just trying not to be tramped to death by the tour groups. Worst than a bad day at Disneyland.

I did enjoy my second day when I did the boat tour around the island and the hike up to Villa Jovis. No crowds.

My aliscafi trip from Capri to Sorrento was also terrifying - and I don't scare easily. Never again. Stick to to big boats and ferries.

I think you'll enjoy November!

Buon viaggio!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 06:19 AM

I paid a brief visit to Capri last December. There are certainly commuters who use the boats to get to work on the mainland every day. The morning ferry from Sorrento had a full load of tradesmen's trucks and vans: I guess hotels, restaurants and shops choose the quiet winter months to do redecorating and building work.
Most restaurants close in winter, but there are always a few open. The funicular was closed, but buses ran an alternative service.
It's certainly worth visiting Capri in winter: it's different but the lack of tourists can be a big advantage.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 06:23 AM

Please don't get the impression that the aliscafi are terrifying. Only if the weather is really bad. 99.9 percent of the time the aliscafi are wonderful and fun.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the helpful information. I know it would be better to see Capri as something other than a day tripper but that is indeed what we will be.

It does sound like Capri's charm is still there on a decent weather day in November and that is what we will hope for.

I also hope if we do take the ferry/hydrofoil over the people running it will tell us if they expect the weather to turn nasty enough to cancel the return boats

thanks again, Deborah
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:10 AM

Deborahann,

One more thing about the aliscafi. I bought a ticket for the 9:00 am and it never showed. Finally, one came at 10:00. I think they don't keep to a formal schedule and just run when they have enough people. While I waited, I watched 4 other boats/ferries arrive and leave.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Dayle, I read and posted on your solo trip report to Italy, it was very helpful with our trip planning.

Do you recommend not buying a ticket to get to Capri until just before a boat/hydrofoil is ready to leave to make sure you have the best means of transportion? At least in the off season we should be dealing with fewer tour groups than you faced.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me. Deborah
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Before we got on the boat to Capri, they advised us that we would not be able to get back to Sorrento, because the sea was getting too rough. So if you really need it to be only a day trip, I would wait to buy the ticket until you get to the ferry.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Digbydog, I am so glad to hear they do give warnings if they expect to cancel due to rough seas. Thanks, Deborah
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:51 PM

Debroahann,

I think if you are departing and returning to Sorrento, you have more frequent boats/etc. to Capri (than I did from Positano). I would really ask at your hotel, they will know if you need an advance ticket or not. I also think you would do well to take the earliest "commuter" transportation available.

Buon viaggio!