Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's between Opatija & Plitvice, and between Plitvice and Mostar?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can squeeze a day into our itinerary between Opatija and Plitvice. Is there some charming and/or interesting town along the way that would be a good place to spend the night? Also, we're planning to drive from Plitvice to Mostar (yeah, I know it's kind of far but we're from Texas where a 5-hour drive is pretty routine). Should we make a beeline for Mostar, or are there things we should see en route? Thanks for any info you can provide!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 08:21 AM

You could fit in a day of seeing lovely little hilltop Istrian villages (i.e. Hum, Bale, Groznjan, Gracisce). Tons of places to stay the night in that area. Depending on when you are going, I strongly recommend booking a room in Opatija if you are planning to stay there. It can get really busy and resort-y.

You could also try to get to one of the islands such as Krk or Rab. They are not my personal favourites but if you go to Croatia islands should be high on your priority list.

And I do not even know where to begin on between Plitvice and Mostar - there is just so much to see and do in Croatia!
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Mostar-great, Plitvice-perfect, but I don't get why chose Opatija.
You could visit it, but I wouldn't stay there for a whole day, better chose Lovran (a place 10 minutes from Opatija). If nothing else it is more expensive than the other places. Istria is not on the route from Opatija to Plitvice, but I'm sure it's worth visiting. Almost any place in Istria is worth visiting more than Opatija.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 07:48 AM

I totally agree - Opatija is, well, a resort and so far my very least favourite destination in Istria. I did not say so before as I did not want to discourage you from going if you must go there (family or whatever).
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

We're actually staying in Rovinj. Right now we're scheduled to drive from Rovinj to Plitvice in one day. I was wondering if we should stay overnight somewhere, between more or less Opatija and Plitvice. After Plitvice, we're scheduled to drive from there to Mostar, which is quite a long drive. So same question--just wondering if there's something in between where we could stop. I'm more interested in finding out what's between Plitvice and Mostar, since I can't find much info of anything along that drive. Thanks!
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 04:25 PM

Opatija has great facilities for tourism but can get very busy in high season. As mentioned, Lovran or Volosko nearby are beautiful small villages with some of the best restaurants in Croatia and would be ideal to break your journey to Plitvice.
Do you intend to take the inland or coastal route to Mostar?