One week in Croatia/Slovenia

Nov 15th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

One week in Croatia/Slovenia

Hi everyone, I'll be visiting Croatia in June and I'd love some insights regarding my itinerary. I'll be flying in from London and leaving from Zagreb a week later. I know that is hardly enough time, but I just happened to have a week in between two separately planned trips. I don't drive, so I'll be relying on public transport.

Here are some of my ideas --
-- Fly into Dubrovnik or Split then make my way up to Zagreb by train or bus, stopping at Plitvice Lakes on the way.
-- Fly into Trieste and visit Rovinj, Pula, maybe some of the islands before taking the bus to Zagreb.
-- Fly into Ljubljana, visit Bled, Triglav National Park, then Zagreb, perhaps a day trip to Plitvice if there's time

Since it's a given that I won't be able to see them all, which of these places are most worth seeing, and how much time is enough to really appreciate each one?

Thanks for your help!
Nov 15th, 2014, 11:39 PM
kja

With only one week, you will need to be EXTREMELY selective, and ultimately, you'll need to make some very difficult decisions.

I loved Croatia and what I saw of Slovenia, and FWIW, I think of the Plitvice Lakes as the single most un-missable place in the entire region. I strongly recommend an overnight there followed by at least 6 hours in the park, because part of what makes these lakes so special is that they each have different microbiota and so are, quite literally, different colors. The only way you can really see that is to walk a single loop that takes you sufficiently far into the park. But you can take shorter or longer circuits, and the rangers at the park entrances will help you plan a route that works for you.

SO, my first recommendation is that you consider making the Plitvice Lakes a priority.

With only a week, I would not try to reach Dubrovnik or any of the islands (e.g., Hvar or Korcula) south of Split.

Your ideas of visiting a bit of Istria OR Ljubljana and Lake Bled OR Split (and Trogir) make sense to me, but these are three VERY different choices and only you can decide which best suits your goals for this particular trip. I think you can have an enjoyable visit to any ONE of these areas with sufficient time to visit the Plitvice Lakes and still get to and visit your departure city. Whether to fly into or out of Trieste or Ljubljana or Zagreb will depend on what you decide to do. And all of them are worth seeing IMO -- it really depends on your interests and priorities.

FWIW, I found The Rough Guides for Croatia and for Slovenia by far the most helpful of the half-dozen or so guidebooks I used when I planned my time in the area.

Hope that helps!
Nov 16th, 2014, 12:52 AM

i completely agree with above that plitvice is a must-go for any trip to that area. we did a similar trip and i would say that, of the places you mention, i would drop zagreb in favor of plitvice. it's a great town... but we liked ljubljana much more. have a wonderful trip..it's such a wonderful area!