Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's a good place for a couple to go in April with different ideals?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Author: teadrinker
Date: 03/27/2006, 07:52 pm
My husband has from April 8 - 18th free, so we can plan an impromptu vacation. Where to go? We don't have to use all the time, but we have this time period free. His interests for this time are simply to be able to exercise, either jog outside or in a health club, to perhaps have a beach to relax on, and since he is health conscious, he'd like someplace that has healthy food. Me, I like picturesque villages (big photography nut), animals & wildlife, and interesting cultures. One of his suggestions was to perhaps visit our dtr in Florida, where she is in College, then perhaps drive the coast of FLA, see Miami, Palm Beach, maybe Key West, the Keys. I've never seen the Keys, and thought maybe a tour thru the waterways would be cool... don't they have mangrove swamps there? I've also never been to N.C. or S.C... I heard the coastline's beautiful there. He is not ruling out Europe, maybe Ireland.. I said how about the countryside of England, stay in a B&B? We were in Italy last year, I loved Venice, he loves Florence. We've been to Hawaii (he loves Waikiki Beach, I love the North Shore), I've been to Paris, but only Paris, not the French Riviera which I heard is beautiful. Not sure if the weather's good in April there. We enjoyed Amsterdam awhile back. Your ideas are really appreciated! Thank you!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Barcelona. Wonderful city, warm enough to do things outdoors by April, they keep late hours so your internal clocks will be less challenged, tons of things to see and do.

Where are you coming from?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Generally good weather in Morocco in April. Stay at the beach and he can jog. Visit the famous medinas in Fes, Marrakesh and Casablanca and you can shoot pics 'til the cows come home
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Portugal or Barcelona would be my choice
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Barcelona, Morocco... sounds good.. not sure if the weather's warm enough in Portugal... my father loved portugal, beautiful country. I'm from Massachusetts, Gardyloo. The weather finally got springlike this week here!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:20 AM

Teadrinker,

Of the suggestions you've been given, I'd agree with Barcelona. But then, Morrocco sounds interesting too... never been there. It's on my list.

South of France gets extremely busy during April. I recall sitting in a lot of slow traffic waiting to get into Cannes. Boating on the Med was great, once we got to the dock. Weather can be great, but it can also be iffy in April.

I see you are from Massachusetts. Have you put the BOS GTG (get together) on your calendar for Oct 7? It is a fun time!! The location is at the Hotel@MIT. We have conversation and then lunch. Dinner for those who want to keep talking!! Some of us are coming from across the country, so we hope the "locals" will be there!!

Enjoy your impromptu vacation.

Carol
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Carol, tell me about this Oct. 7th event. I haven't heard of it. Details? It's a possiblility I could go. Are you going?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:56 AM

teadrinker - I throw in another vote for Barcelona. Spent my honeymoon there and loved it and have also loved many of the other places you mentioned, but, then again, I'm pretty much happy anywhere, except maybe shopping malls and Disney. The temperature in Barcelona should be about 15 degrees warmer than ours in Boston this time of year, at least as of 2 weeks ago (although 2 weeks ago was particularly cold for us and therefore not necessarily the measurement you should use). Have fun wherever you go!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:02 AM

I went on an adventure tour of Vietnam last year, which included hiking, kayaking, scuba-diving, snorkelling, swimming etc. The cuisine of Vietnam is healthy, healthy, healthy. The combination added up to a 10 lb weight loss, over 20 days! And I wasn't even aware of it. Fabulous history, both ancient and modern. I'd heartily recommend it to anyone looking for a unique and healthy vacation.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Hi there, just to let you know, we'll have to put Barcelona on for another time! Since it was so short notice, we're "just" going to go to FLA! Never been to Miami.. we'll swing in and visit my Mother In Law in Naples and our daughter who attends college in FLA too... it was easier for us to plan a FLA trip than one so far away.. Thanks again for all the great ideas!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:52 AM

Portugal---it fits your scenario.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:20 PM

My two cents is that Barcelona is far too polluted and rich a diet for somebody who is really health conscious -- although I know there are many healthy options to be found in Barcelona. Also, I don't think of Barcelona or any city in Europe as much of a destination for nature photographers.

I see you've already decided to stay in the US, but my inclination would have been to suggest Belize: pure air, simple food and fantastic opportunities for nature photography and unspoiled rural life.