2 month trip to spain/portugal help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are spending January 28 to March 30 in Spain and Portugal. It will be our first trip there. We fly into Madrid, stay in an apartment for one week and end in Barcelona from March 5 to 30th and fly home. We plan on renting a car when we leave Madrid and drop it off in Barcelona. How does this itinerary sound?

While in Madrid day trips to Toledo and El Escorial.

Leave Madrid

Visit Segovia 1 night
Visit Salamanca 1 night
Visit Coimbra 2 nights
Visit Batalha and Fatima on way to
Nazare 1 night
Stay in Lisbon 1 week
Leave Lisbon visit Evora
Algarve
Salema 2 nights
Seville 4 days Side trip to Cordoba
Stay in White Villages Arcos 1-2 nights
Morocco ? day trip stay in area 2 nights
Gilbrater
Stay Nerja 1 night
Stay Granada at least 2 nights
Murcia 1-2 nights
Valencia 1-2 nights
Barcelona
What other good spots have we missed? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. We like small towns, quaint, scenery, history of the large cities. How about Maruco, Obidos, Villamoura and at what point?

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 12:42 AM

Maruco? You mean Morocco? Not in Portugal, I'm affraid.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:48 AM

Sounds like a great trip. Maybe you mean Marvao? If so then definitly yes stop there. If so you would do it just before Coimbra. Also Obidos.That you would do just before Lisbon. We LOVED both of those towns. You might be interested in my July trip report and photos which are at: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34854723

There are also photos of Barcelona. I was there last March.

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

lobo_mau Thanks. I meant to say Tarifa for 2 nights with a day trip to Tangiers Morocco. It might not even be worth it. A separate trip to Morocco might be better.

Isabel. Thanks for the info. I can see that I have so much to learn. We've traveled before but our first time to Spain/Portugal. The more I learn about the area, the places I want to stop. Your pictures are incredible. We actually are going to Sicily for two weeks before flying to Madrid so I'll look on the Italy sight to see if I find you.
There are two issues facing us now. To train/bus or use the car. We would have free parking in Lisbon> The car for the month is going to cost $1000.00 so it's more for convenience to see the smaller towns.
Also Isabel did you stay in an apartment in Barcelona?
Thanks for all of your help.
pjoneslake
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 10:23 AM

What a great trip !
I have been to all of those places at least once, but I am worn out just reading that itinerary. I hate one niters---you must be young.
See Marvao as you transition from Salamanca. Stay in Obidos for 2 nites and see Nazare etc. from there. Skip Morocco and Gibralter. Stay in Peniscola as you drive to Barcelona but not Valencia. You really need to fine tune and cut down on short stays. Have you looked at Parador and Pousada discounts that time of year?
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bobthenavigator. That's just the kind of info I need to have. I thought Marvao was far from Salamanca. I assume you think I should skip Tarifa also. I'll check out the Paradors. I'm trying to keep the daily lodging rate under 100 Euro unless it's very special> Thanks so much everyone. It's so great to see that there are so many others with the wanderlust.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Since you're spending so long in Barcelona, you may want to look into daytrips along the Costa Brava. Girona is a good daytrip, too.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Strass! I'll look it up.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:53 PM

Overall it sounds like a great trip, but I agree with bob about the pace. I know it would be too much moving around for me, but if you're young and up for it, it might be fine for you. For sure check out parador.es--they are wonderful and you can get some good deals on weekly passes and such. I would save Morocco for another trip perhaps and I haven't heard great things about Gibrater. Of all the places you're going that I've been, the only one that disappointed me was Murcia. I'd suggest Allicante over it, or add the extra time on to Barcelona.

Also, $1,000 sounds high for a car. Have you checked out Autoeurope?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 02:36 PM

I think it's a shame you're not structuring your itinerary for what's happening in those months: Carnaval in Cadiz (forget about Morocco) around 20 Feb and las Fallas de Valencia for San José, in mid-March. Those festivities continue thru the end of March in the Valencai Comunitat all the way to Alicante
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 03:38 PM

pjoneslake - no, we didn't stay in an apt in Barcelona. We were only there 4 nights and stayed at the Hotel Continental. As for Sicily, I did a trip report on that also, it's at: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34657352

Re the car: the areas you want to see in Portugal would be best seen with a car. But I think you can get to them on public transportation, it would just take longer. Marvao would be very hard without a car.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:48 PM

You might want to look at this link for a pousada passport; it offers some good rates for stays all around Portugal.

https://www.portugal.com/reservations/pousadaspass.asp
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:51 PM

Sorry, the last link was just to the reservation page. This one describes the passport a bit better.

http://www.pousadas.pt/historicalhotels/EN/passports/
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank so much everyone. I don't feel so alone in planning this trip. My husband says "Whatever you think" but no input. Imernal, I'm looking into the Pousadas. I'd like a variety of accommadations to have different experiences. Everything but American hotels. Here's an update on itinerary based on your input.
Jan 28-Mar 4 apartment in Madrid
day trip to El Escorial Valley of Fallen and Toledo
Feb 4 & 5 Segovia
Feb 6 Salamanca 1 night
Feb 7 & 8 Marvao
Feb 9 & 10 Coimbra
Feb 11 & 12 Obidos
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. It's great to have help! Thanks for the Pousada tip. I'm looking into it. I like to stay at different types of lodging, everything but big American hotels. It's good to immerse yourself in the country. Here's the updated itineray based on all of your comments
Madrid apartment 1/28-2/4
side trip to Toledo
Pick up car in Madrid at end of week
2/4-2/5 Segovia (1 1/2 hr drive) 2 ngts
2/6 Salamanca 2 1/4 drive 1 ngt
2/7-2/8 Marvoa 2 ngts
2/9-2/10 Coimbra 4 1/2 hour drive 2 ngts
2/11-2/12 Obidos 2 ngts
2/13-2/20 apartment in Lisbon 1 week
2/20-2/21 Salema 2 ngts
2/22-2/26 Sevilla4 ngts
2/26-2/27 Arcos 2 ngts
2/28 Travel through Jerez then stay in Nerja 2 hr drive 1 ngts
3/1-3/2 Granada Stay in Parador 2 ngts
3/3 drive to Barcelona stopping Allicante?
3/5 approximately, it keeps getting pushed back Drop car in Barcelona
While in Barcelona day trip to Girona and Montserrat. Is Valencia too far for a day train trip.

What do you think. I could cut 2 nights before arrival in Lisbon from 2/13 to 2/11 to gain more time and catch the festival in Cadiz. I told my husband no golf clubs on this trip.No time

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 07:30 AM

Pousadas are wonderful. There may be some attractive rates available give the time of year you are traveling. Our trip to Portugal was in March....since it was low season, we found some great rates, especially during the week.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:16 AM

Much better !
Two preferences of mine:
Viano do Castello rather than Coinbra
Lagos rather then Salema

Do not always believe Rick Steves
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Bobthenavigator
How did you know? I'm impressed
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:12 PM

I can smell him a mile away.
He was my inspiration 25 years ago, but I quickly out grew him.
BTW, I have done March in Portugal twice and have done 4 trips to Spain, one of those in March. We will return to Spain in 2008 but this time to Green Spain, perhaps in May. In between we have enjoyed 13 trips to Italy. Have fun !
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:06 PM
samting

I agree, you will be exhausted if you don't slow it down a bit. My thought would be to drive less and experience it more. We loved Villamoura, and taking it leisurely, driving north up to the Douro Valley (spectacular)., spending 4 days there,etc. We always spend at least 3 days in any one spot. The first day you are driving, getting settled, finding the lay of the land, the second day is good, then the third day is the best one, then next day you leave--check out, get orientated. Slow down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -