What to Wear, Ireland May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I make a lot of my own clothes, other than sweaters and basically warm clothes in this part of New England, I might wear a wrap skirt once in a while with boots. What is considered dressy? What is casual? What about shoes? Brights or darks? Boots?<BR><BR>Is it chilly during the day or humid and then cool at night? Is silk too warm?<BR><BR>We are going the May 8-16<BR>Please-lots of advicegt;<BR><BR>Thank you.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 12:17 PM

Where in Ireland will you be going?<BR>Just returned from Ireland and it was mid-high 60's and sunny!
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 12:31 PM

there are two Irish sayings: &quot;there is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong choice in clothes&quot; and &quot;if you can't see the mountains or the sea tis the fault of the rain, and if you can see the mountains and the sea clearly, enjoy the moment till the rain returns&quot;<BR>Ireland is very casual, even in Dublin.<BR>Key word: layers.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 01:05 PM

Layers is correct. Once when I was there mid May the weather was around 65-68 degrees during the day. The mornings and evenings will still be cool so you'll need a medium layer jacket. But I'm a cold person, I wore a wool blazer most of the time and the Irish tour guide laughed at me because he was sweating = ) What you have picked out sounds fine. Have a great time.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 01:44 PM

Just wear shoes that are comfortable for walking on the cobblestones. High heels are definitely a bad idea in Ireland!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 05:15 AM

Normally daytime temps are in the mid 60's (17-18C) in early to mid-May and low 50's (11-12C) for nighttime lows. But in one year ('99 or '00) it got up to 81 degrees F (27 C) in Tipperary and there were thunderstorms with high winds and hail in County Cork. I was in Limerick City that time preparing to Catch my flight back to Newark the next morning (at 11:20 AM). It was quite warm in Limerick also. <BR><BR>The lesson of this anecdotal incident is: Don't take very heavy winter wear! It's Spring, after all. <BR><BR>I visited Ireland in May and September each of The past several years (since I retired in '98). I mostly wear Khakis and golf shirts but always carry the indispensable (hooded) rain parka. I am a male though, so you may have to adjust for gender.