Packing for Ireland in the latter part of June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Packing for Ireland in the latter part of June

Author: Dools
Date: 06/03/2007, 11:38 am
My wife, daughter (toddler)and I will be in Ireland the latter part of June beginning of July and are extremely excited. We are in the process of getting things organized and would like to know how to pack? What is the weather like at this time?

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:58 AM

Expect just about anything so suggest layers Tshirt, sweater, trousers that zip off to become shorts and a good waterproof. Have a great time. Whereabouts are you staying?
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:38 AM

Ireland has a VERY moderate cliate - it never gets really hot or cold. Assume spring like temps - may be slightly warm during the day or slightly cool at night and you're likely to see a lot of mist (most not enough to even be called drizzle).

Make sure you have 2 pair of waterproof shoes, a folding umbrella, a thin jacaket and a cotton sweater.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:54 AM

A polite disagreement with NYtraveler. I visit a customer in Ireland 2 times a year and never seem to be warm enough while visiting. The dampness most likely adds to the cool weather. My only point is that you need to consider how you typically dress in damp cool climate. Ireland is great you will have a good time .
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:23 AM

Layering is certainly the key, as it is possible to encounter all four seasons in one day. I usually carry a waterproof hooded windbreaker, light pullover sweater or sweatshirt and shirts with sleeves which I can roll up or leave down as needed. Pack for only half of the days you are traveling plus one day and drop your clothing at the laundry to be picked up after a day of sight seeing. As well, a small flashlight for those dark walks back from the pubs.

Slan Beo,

Bit devine
Cowboy Craic
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM

Agree with the layering advice. I was in Ireland in July a few years ago and we experienced a wide range of weather while there from chilly and rainy in Dublin to clear and relatively warm toward Killarney. Hey, if you get too cold it just gives you an excuse to buy something beautifully knitted (although hopefully not imported from Nepal).
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much! You all have given me great ideas for my family
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:43 PM

My advice? Bring more than one raincoat.

Last time we were there for two weeks in June, we had fog, a "soft rain," and heavy rain for part or all of every day but three. Consequently, in all of our outdoor pictures, we look as though we never changed our clothes.

By the way, we had a Wonderful time.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:10 PM

Clio wrote: "Hey, if you get too cold it just gives you an excuse to buy something beautifully knitted (although hopefully not imported from Nepal)."

What have people got against the Nepalese? The stuff is reasonable quality, cheap, and the Nepalese need the money.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:11 PM

Definitely be ready for rain, cooler weather, and also a heat wave! Expect everything and you will get it. Summer 2006 in Ireland, we experienced wet weather, and weather where long pants, long-sleeved shirts, and a light-weight unlined waterproof jacket were perfect; and also we experienced an Irish heat wave for 2 days where temps were at record highs, we had a car with NO air conditioning, parts of a street were melting, and it was really too hot to hike around... You never know in Ireland. Global warming seems to have caused all of our trips in the past 2 years to be warmer than expected in the spring and summer in each region!

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Clio makes a good point! What a great reason to buy yourself something new!

While visiting Ireland I would certainly rather purchase something made there than elsewhere.

Same goes for when I visit Nepal.

happy travels!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Take gloves -- I nearly froze in Ireland in June several years ago and had to buy lots of warm woolens. Alternated using sunglasses and rainjacets every day as the weather was constantly changing. And we loved every minute.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Good to know. My husband and I leave for Ireland in 8 days and I keep changing my mind about what to take. I'm fairly hot natured and of course my husband is the opposite. Hopefully we will take a mixture that works. We will be hiking every day for one week and driving a lot the next week. Can't wait!!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 01:12 AM

I agree with you padraig. Some of the Irtish studd is so expensive and to hbe honest people are big into the handknit stuff....its 5oo bloody heavy and makes everyone look like the Michelin Maan. I still have my jumper from my teens hand knit and only ever wore it to Shovel snow in the U.S. winters...tooo hot and wolly!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:30 AM

I know we dont have tropical weather in Ireland...........but Gloves in June!!!!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Yes, gloves -- on a very windy and wet day on a boat to the Aran Islands. Only needed them for a few hours out of 10 days in Ireland, but they made a big differnce in those circumstances. They are very small and no trouble to pack in the jacket pocket, and not as easy to find in the shops as sweaters and scarves if you hit a blustery patch of weather.