Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Derrymore House B&B in Glendalough - have you stayed there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still putting together itinerary for Ireland tip in early June. Our plan had been to relax Sat afternoon and evening in Dublin after flight in from NYC, then get rental car Monday AM and wander through the countryside for six days. Have discovered that a Springsteen concert in Dublin has hotels booked on our arival weekend.<BR><BR>Plan B: arrive at noon on a Saturday, get rental car at airport and head to Wicklow County where we'll stay at least through morning or mid-day Monday and then head southwest from there - maybe just an afternoon and night in Dublin before ourt flight out. The referenced B&amp;B looks nice enough and at a fair price (60 eurodollars for two including VAT and breakfast). They have no pics on the website and my GF is moderately fussy about accomodations. Have any of you stayed at derrymore or are familiar with it by reputation?
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 06:44 PM

Owen,<BR><BR>The only Derrymore House that I'm familiar with is located in the North of Ireland, County Armagh, to be exact. <BR><BR>Is it possible that you're thinking of Derrybawn House, located just outside the village of Laragh, County Wicklow? If so, I have stayed there and, while the overall service can be a bit reserved, less than warm, I can recommend it. It's a distinctive, late 18th century house, situated on very attractive and extensive grounds, a perfect location for touring Wicklow and visiting Glendalough (by the way, get to Glendalough very early or late in the day, as crowds can dampen its appeal).<BR><BR>Best of luck.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks David but no... it is Derrymore House (same name as the one in County Armagh but different house).<BR><BR>http://homepage.eircom.net/%7ederrymore/<BR><BR>They've only been open as B&amp;B since '96
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 05:30 AM

Owen,<BR><BR>I'm sorry that I couldn't be of any assistance concerning Derrymore. <BR><BR>As for plans A and B, I like the latter, as the drive from the airport to the Wicklow countryside should take you only a little more than an hour. Two days in Wicklow - perhaps enjoying visits to Powerscourt, Glendalough, Lough Tay, Russborough House, and Mount Usher Gardens - sounds quite appealing. Then it's off to the southwest.<BR><BR>Best of luck.