Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > What was your favorite Irish place to stay?

What was your favorite Irish place to stay?

Jun 6th, 2000, 12:50 AM
Missy

What was your favorite Irish place to stay?

I'm looking for great B&B's with fabulous owners, converted castles, or other unique must-stay places. Preferably not the most expensive, but doesn't have to be rock-bottem in price either. Will be traveling all over Ireland so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Jun 6th, 2000, 04:47 AM
Kathleen

Look at the Hidden Ireland website-- 'www.hidden-ireland.ie'. The houses are old country houses, great atmosphere, all over the country. I stayed at Temple HOuse near Sligo, and absolutely loved it. Wonderful hosts, very comfortable, and not too expensive. For the a really over the top experience, look at Ashford Castle near Cong or Dromoland near Shannon.

Jun 6th, 2000, 05:02 AM
Richard

We stayed at Kilnaboy (no sure how that's spelled) near the Burren in western Ireland. The B&B there was fantastic - run by a couple who retreated back from Dublin. I'd recommend it highly. Excellent welcome, helpful hosts, fantastic food.

Jun 6th, 2000, 07:48 AM
shannon

Missy,

We stayed at a B&B within walking distance to St. Stephen's Green in Dublin called Number 31. So different than your normal B&B. The owner is fantastic. He has two bldgs on parellel streets, but the backs face one another. There is a fenced courtyard that joins the two. The dining and lounge area are in one house and the bedrooms are in the other house. Price=90$, double.

Jun 6th, 2000, 08:00 AM
Maggie

Two favorites---Shelburne Lodge in Kenmare. Lovely old manor house, beautifully maintained, great owners. The Quay House, Clifden, Connemara---on the harbor, again beautifully maintained--try for one of the studios with french doors overlooking the water. Again, great owners. Both are in Karen Brown and other books. I'd go back in a minute---and both have extraordinary breakfasts.

Jun 6th, 2000, 08:50 AM
John

Another very good brochure is called "the Friendly Homes of Ireland". It's a little like "Hidden Ireland" and "The Blue Book", but they are inclined to cost less to stay at. Their web-site is at www.tourismresources.ie/ There also seem to be a lot more places to choose from.

Oct 6th, 2000, 10:47 AM
spinelli

Missy,

It has been 11 years since we spent our honeymoon in Ireland. Two hotels come to mind--in Sligo, The Yeats Country Inn; in Dublin, Buswell's.

We hope to return in 2001.

Good luck.

Oct 6th, 2000, 11:50 AM
jen

In Bantry, Co. Cork: The Bantry House- a HUGE mansion right on the Irish Sea. It was (and is) The Earl of Bantry's home- but in order to maintain the place, he had to rent it out to vactioners. The cost is 75 pounds per person, per night. Not bad conisidering the digs!

Oct 6th, 2000, 12:01 PM
Patrick

This was in Northern Ireland, does that count? We spent two nights at Bushmill's, the old Irish Whiskey owned Inn right in the town of Bushmills, wonderful old rooms, cozy atmosphere, superb restaurant, even a room with a "secret" revolving bookcase. Anyway we were there mainly to spend a full day hiking the Giant's Causeway, but it poured rain the entire two days, so we went to the Bushmills distillery, and spent the better part of a day. I became an "official taster". Suffice it to say that I have been drinking Irish Whiskey instead of Scoth ever since.

Oct 6th, 2000, 12:16 PM
judy

Hi all, Missy, I am also looking for a "favorite place to stay". Jen: That sounds wonderful. Kathleen: Is that the correct website? I am having trouble with it. Shannon: That B&B sounds great. In fact, all your responses sound fabulous. Thanks all, I will be checking back frequently.
Judy

Oct 6th, 2000, 01:41 PM
Cathy

Missy,

As an Irish person am I allowed to name my few favourite places - some I stayed in while on business and others was just on short breaks. I concurr with Kathleen on Temple House, also in the same vein but more expensive are Crookerwood House in Westmeath, Tinakilly House in Wicklow (wonderful food and beautiful rooms), Mitchelles of Laragh in Wicklow (same as Tinakilly but less expensive), Highfield B&B in Woodenbridge in Wicklow, Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin city, Morrison's Island Hotel in Cork, Corrick Great Southern and Galway Great Southern in Galway, Killarney Great Southern and Parnsilla (www.gsh.ie lists all the Great Southern Hotels). Ashford and Dromland Castles are top of the range (and price list too) but another castle worth checking out is Markee in Sligo.

Hope this helps you, check the Hidden ireland web site and the Blue Book site as well,

Have a great holiday

Cathy

Oct 6th, 2000, 08:53 PM
Kathleen

Judy, I made a mistake in the HIdden Ireland website--it's with a '.com' not '.ie'. Sorry! Also, the Temple HOuse direct sight is 'templehouse.ie'. Great place!

Oct 7th, 2000, 06:37 AM
Judy

Oh Kathleen! I am so in love! That site brought tears to my eyes! Each home was more beautiful than the last!! I am so grateful for the info. I CAN NOT WAIT TO GO.... and Cathy Lynch, you are soooooo lucky, to be able to see such beauty....I am so envious....Sigh, Judy

Oct 8th, 2000, 11:16 AM
sandra

Missy,

Just spent 11 days in Ireland. I can recommend Cregg Castle in Corrandulla, County Galway. It's a castle buit in 1648 about 9 miles north of Galway. Pat & Ann Marie Broderick are musicians and in the evening we listened to Irish music in the Great Hall, by candlelight, next to the peat fire. It was just wonderful. webiste is http://indigo.ie/~creggsac.
Ireland is just grand!
Sandra

Oct 9th, 2000, 04:13 PM
NONIE

I would recommend DROMOLAND CASTLE - Shannon area. It is so gorgeous and they are the MOST FRIENDLY of any 5 star hotel. They literally come out of the castle to greet you when you drive up. The main dining room is amazing...excellent food and a staff of about 11 waiters for each table. Its well worth the money to stay there.

Oct 11th, 2000, 08:28 AM
Pat O'C

stayed at waterford castle and glenlo abbey in galway, expensive but awesome places. interested in cregg castle for trip in august. would appreciate any info.

Oct 11th, 2000, 08:48 AM
Sandra

Pat,

Check out the Cregg Castle web site I listed it will answer most questions including the history of the house. It's run more like a B&B rather than a hotel, friendly and personal. Our room was en suite with a four poster bed, vaulted ceiling, fireplace, wardrobe and chest of drawers. Size was average. The room was lovely with a view out the window of a meadow. In the morning the meadow was filled with mist and through the mist you could see a flock of sheep. Also, on the grounds were a cemetary with ruins of a church. Breakfast was in the dining room at a large table that seated about 20 people. We stayed two nights and really enjoyed our stay.

Sandra

Oct 11th, 2000, 10:22 AM
PatOC

Sandr, thanks for the info. I've been at the web site and are formulating plans. My wife wanted info from someone whose stayed there. Thanks again. Pat OC

Oct 13th, 2000, 06:16 AM
Annie

Cashel House in County Galway. Get a superior room. It's not horribly expensive, but it's a wonderful small hotel with incredible food. Of course, as long as I get a big fluffy robe in my room and my beer served on a silver platter, I'm usually happy.

Oct 14th, 2000, 11:32 AM
Dick Hardy

We got back only a few weeks ago. I highly recommend Coopershill House in Co.Sligo. A 1774 country house run by the O'Hara family since it was built.Truly a warm, comfortable, and friendly place with excellent food served on the family sterling.Look into Ballymaloe House (get the top grade room and book months in advance or you can't get it).Run by the Allen family, it is knows to have the best food in Ireland. Dromoland - thoughI have not stayed there recently - is lovely but terribly expensive. We recently stayed at Cashel House Hotel and were not terribly impressed. It is very comfortable, but the kitchen is run by
French - and who wants to eat French foood in Ireland? Dick

Search this Thread