What to wear in Spain in the Summer?

May 11th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

What to wear in Spain in the Summer?

We are going to Spain in July. We want to pack light and smart. I've always heard to pack dark, multi-functional clothes, but when temperatures can be in the 90's, dark sounds miserable!
Any suggestions?
May 11th, 2005, 08:11 AM

It is very warm there. I would pack light colored clothes unless you are worried dirt showing, etc.. If in Madrid, I will warn you that the ladies do like to get dresses up. We have friends there and every time I visit I always feel under dressed!! I pack a few nice skirts, capri pants for dinner. I wear khaki shorts during the day sight seeing.
But, do pack light. i would keep the dark stuff at home unless you are wearing at night,
HAve fun!!!!
May 11th, 2005, 08:46 AM

Hi! We just returned from Spain this week, and yes we overpacked. It's already warm in evenings and hot in the daytime. We didn't see anyone in shorts or tennis shoes. We both wore khaki pants a lot and I brought a few skirts. I was surprised how the color clothing in Madrid was not vibrant as we saw in Andalucia. We didn't go to super fancy restaurants, but felt like most people in restaurants were dressed casually, including at night. In May, I needed a light sweater, but I doubt you will have much use for one in July. BTW, my dark clothes showed the wear much more than lighter clothes. Also, try packing Shout wipe sheets to remove stains. Have a great time; we did!
May 11th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Of course light colours are fine. And Spainis scorching in high summer, so think light materials too - I'm a big fan of wide-legged loose linen trousers in off-whites with smart flipflops when touring in the summer - they're actually cooler than shorts or skirts, as they let the air flow and keep the sun off your legs - and they can look very elegant.
May 11th, 2005, 10:22 AM

I like 'palazzo' style pants (or capris or skirts or long shorts) in lightweight printed or solid rayon, linen, or cotton fabrics. They don't have to be 'dark' but patterned fabrics in muted multi colors shows dirt the least. I'd top these with sleeveless or short sleeve blouses and tshirts. I take one pair of sneakers and two pair of comfortable but decent looking sandals. Don't forget to toss in a bathing suit & sarong plus something light to sleep in.

(This worked for me in Switzerland and Italy in August several trips when the temps were 90F).