Spain clothing question

Sep 13th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Spain clothing question

Hi - We are leaving for Spain (Madrid & San Sebastian) in one week and I am starting to pack. I have been to Spain and Europe before but can't seem to remember what is appropriate for dress in the evenings - at medium casual restaurants and tapas bars. Here in Los Angeles it is appropriate to wear nice dark jeans out to dinner and I'm wondering if that is okay in these two cities?

Thank you!
Sep 13th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Also...I did do a search of past posts but can't find much and there is nothing in the books I have!
Sep 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM

There is no strict dress code in Spain I'm aware of, and you can wear what you like and you are comfortable in. Jeans will be perfectly acceptable. I prefer not to take jeans on travels as they are bulky and difficult to wash or dry. But any casual wear will be more than adequate.
Sep 13th, 2009, 10:50 AM

Yes you should be fine with those in tapas bars & casual restauants. Are you most comfortable in jeans?
Really alot depends on how you coordinate the rest of the ensemble. Think classy casual.

How old are you? Are you female? Sorry to ask so bluntly but you will find some similariities & some differences.

BTW in Madrid you will see some men more elegantly dressed in business suits at lunch than at dinner. Very elegant types. Seemed that at dinner @ midpriced places they were more casual; no tie, perhaps a leather jacket, some jeans but only "decent" ones. No T shirts.

Unless you are in your twenties and going to the more edgy places the vintage jeans & T shirts were not seen at all. Ladies wore good shoes or boots. Not necessarily dressy, but good quality.

The differences are that the "senior" ladies (over 60) do NOT wear jeans at all in Spain, in Madrid at least in the city center. (maybe at home or at a picnic or something) There are alot of classic clothes seen everywhere.

But if you are young, nice jeans are fine paired with tops in good taste.
Sep 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM

Re "senior ladies".... at a smallish town market I noticed that they were all tidy and neat and wearing skirts....
Sep 13th, 2009, 12:25 PM

So no jean's if you are over 60. What about capri pants or slacks? Do older women really only wear skirts? I can't believe older tourists only wear dresses. I know certain things mark one as a tourist, and an American tourist..but that's exactly what we are. If German women can get heavily tan, and wear shorts and tank tops everywhere no matter their age, why is it unacceptable for American women "of a certain age" to wear jeans? Or is it just a matter of trying to fit in with the locals a bit better?
Sep 13th, 2009, 12:25 PM

So no jean's if you are over 60. What about capri pants or slacks? Do older women really only wear skirts? I can't believe older tourists only wear dresses. I know certain things mark one as a tourist, and an American tourist..but that's exactly what we are. If German women can get heavily tan, and wear shorts and tank tops everywhere no matter their age, why is it unacceptable for American women "of a certain age" to wear jeans? Or is it just a matter of trying to fit in with the locals a bit better?
Sep 13th, 2009, 12:38 PM

why is it unacceptable for American women "of a certain age" to wear jeans? Or is it just a matter of trying to fit in with the locals a bit better?"

there is no "jean police" anywhere..
Some women like to dress well, some don't care .

It is matter of personal taste - abroad as well as at home.
Sep 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM

ali,
one could take a similar photo in almost any village or small town in most of Europe.
Sep 13th, 2009, 12:43 PM

absolutely....but it illustrates the skirts well....I think that they look lovely...
Sep 13th, 2009, 12:58 PM

One should not obsess too much. Madrid is one of Europe's biggest cities, and you will see almost any style.
No Spaniard will give a fiddler's fart on "how to fit in" in Stockholm. Nor will any Parisian think about it when traveling to Madrid for a weekend.

The reason you see so many guys in suits at lunch is that business jocks are on their lunch break before they go back to their offices. No big mystery.

For the average casual restaurant, and especially for a tapas bar, you don't need to listen to any fashion police.
Jeans and polo shirt are fine for a guy. Ladies can wear anything anyway that is better than a neon-colored track suit.
A "conservative look" does not necessarily translate to "well dressed".

If you want to eat at an upscale restaurant or try to get into some of the in clubs, you should give your wardrobe a thought or two, though. But that was not the question here.
Sep 13th, 2009, 01:44 PM

#
alihutch on Sep 13, 09 at 04:43 PM

absolutely....but it illustrates the skirts well....I think that they look lovely..."

yes, but the ladies in Salamanca district ( Madrid)
or Ramblas de Catalunya ( Barcelona) look very different...
Sep 13th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the responses.

I am a 34 year old female and my jeans are dark and I will wear them with classy tops. I am most comfortable in jeans and don't really own any other pants besides heavier and more bulky cords and don't want to buy new clothes. I like traveling with jeans in cities because I don't have to wash them at all as they don't really show wear and dirt.

I'm not so much concerned about fitting in but just want to be appropriate and considerate to the culture and not assume all cities are like LA. And mostly I want to pack as little as possible so I can shop while I'm there!

So jeans it is based on your replies! Thanks again.
Sep 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM

I take jeans with me on trips and while they are bulky, like you said, they can be worn multiple time between washings, which makes up for the bulkiness.
Sep 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM

Westcoast dreamer,

Now that I know your age I will add not only are jeans definately ok, but you may think them the norm there. I have seen some really well dressed young moms with babies etc.
It sounds like you are one classy lady or you wouldn't be asking.

It's all about a good fit, good shoes, nicely coordinated casual outfit that you can wear several times and be comfortable yes. They seem to have a knack for understated accessories too but the look overall is "less is more."

And since I just noticed you are from L.A area (so am I!) I was quickly reminded what a "natural" woman's body looked like before DD implants were so common here.
Not that there's anything wrong with that....)

Kleroux I have seen many women over 60 in Spain in pants but not so much capris. If it is hot they wear a light dress or skirt. The heavier older ladies though go for the dresses.
I am 53 & I saw myself all over the place there it was lke looking into a crystal ball of the future...
Sep 13th, 2009, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the input. I checked out the photo's of the women in skirts. I agree with the posting that said that women their age in Madrid probably look a lot more fashionable and chic than these women did. I also agree that jeans can take a lot of wearing between washings. If its not too hot its a practical clothing item. Yes, trying to look well groomed is important in any culture. Thank God for basic black...it goes with everything.
Sep 13th, 2009, 11:15 PM

Regarding jeans.....the predominant style in Spain now is the super tight, narrow-legged jeans, right? Bootleg or trouser-style jeans would seem out of place? Just asking b/c I wear dark, trouser-style jeans as my "dressy" cocktail hour jeans in the U.S.
Sep 14th, 2009, 12:06 AM

I personally do not understand this need to blend in. As soon as you talk you will stand out as being a foreigner.
What you ware depends on your age, the other influence to your clothes is your background. Both ethnic and culture wise.
I do not want to go into a lot of detail but suffice to say in Spain there are many races and classes of society. You do not wear swimming clothes whilst walking around cities or towns, they are reserved for the beach.
Here are some photos to help you understand that bending in is nearly impossible:
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/136...71460683xNmFaG
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...in-granada.jpg
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...oto1089811.htm
http://www.andaluciaimagen.com/foto-...69471I0IA0.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO