What to wear in London?

Search

What to wear in London?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to wear in London?

This is probably a silly question....but we are leaving for London in 3 days! I think we have everything we need weather wise. We are trying to pack light. My husband packs strictly for comfort and is not embarrassed at all to wear his white leather sneakers with everything! We will also have two teenage boys with us. We're planning to take casual, comfortable clothes with layers for warmth. If we go to a Christmas music program at St. Paul's Cathedral in the evening do we need to dress up? Or would slacks and sweaters (and my hubby's white sneakers!) be o.k?
Thanks!
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 02:39 PM

No need to dress up - for forecast try wunderground or equivalent
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 02:40 PM

No, you don't need to dress up. Yes, slacks and sweaters will be OK. Yes, your husband's white sneakers will be fine. No-one will be looking at you and judging.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM

the average londoner is very poorly dressed and nothing is offensive. don't worry. if his clothes are clean, fit correctly and reasonably wrinkle free, he will probably be much better dressed than the locals.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 03:26 PM

I was just in London in September for the second time, and you can wear what you want. It's a massive city and everyone wears whatever they want. White sneakers are a bit of a stand-out but not like they used to be. Relax. Dress for comfort or fashion -- whatever suits you.

As for St. Pauls -- I would maybe dress up a little (like a nice sweater with slacks), but that would be about it.

Have a great trip.

Julie
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 03:51 PM

Indeed. We come from different worlds. I come from London.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 03:53 PM

one of those rare days when I miss M-kingdom
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 04:04 PM

Faina my dear fear not for I am here.

It is a silly question really. I just despair at people who have reached adulthood, and middle adulthood at that and do not know what to wear. An all too common a problem so it seems.

White leather sneakers are fine if they're by Dior Homme and on the feet of skinny men. Big, ugly, albino elephant efforts really aren't suitable for anything other than the bin.

Comfort doesn't have to mean lack of style. Everything in my wardrobe is comfortable. Leather soled chelsea boots (a classic style - I favour Jil Sander's ones) are supremely comfortable for walking long distances. I never get why men prefer trainers, they're no more comfortable than well fitting "proper" shoes.

As for warmth, it's coldish here right now. Wear a sweater with a layer underneath, and a coat with a scarf and some leather gloves. And corded trousers and heavier jeans are pefect for this time of year.

I'd wear a sweater (but not the naff sporting types) and a pair of cords to that with perhaps a black jacket under the coat. Black jackets are a fabulous way to dress up an outfit and add a little evening edge to what you've been wearing during the day. Provided you've been wearing something suitable during the day.

What else can I say? People do look a terrible mess in London. Even the foreign women in fur coats and a plasterer for a makeup artist look a mess so that just goes to show that money can't buy you taste...or a good facelift for that matter either.