What to wear to theatre in London??

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Denise

What to wear to theatre in London??

I would appreciate suggestions as to what would be appropriate attire to wear to evening theatre in London. How "dressed up" should one be?

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Henry

Denise: This may not be much help but my experience has been that the level of dress varies greatly.As a guide you may simply want to dress as if you were going to the theatre at home.Enjoy.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Denise

Henry, I do appreciate you responding, however, there aren't many theatres in Montana that would compare to London. Help!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 05:16 AM
kate

Denise,<BR>I have worn black pants suits,a skirt and a velvet top,always high heels and when the weather was especially warm,some theaters are not a/c so well,I have worn a very light cotton dress,that comes below the knee.<BR>You will see kids with their backpacks and in jeans and tee shirts or matrons very dressed up.It is true, just about anything goes, but I would say,if you can wear it to church,it will look good in a London theatre~(men do not need to wear ties and if it is very warm,a jacket is probably not needed)

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:34 AM
xxx

Dress nicely but not over the top. Yes, you will see jeans and backpacks but it is much more appropriate to wear either a plain dress and shoes or dress pants and a nice top and jacket - dressing up a bit always makes it more fun anyway! Remember that you are in London and it is a little more fashionable.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:44 AM
notta

We went to London Theater in March on a Saturday night and saw all types of dress, mostly casual, from jeans to comfortable dresses. Noone looked askance at anyone. It wasn't an Easter fashion parade. So, dress as you feel comfortable and enjoy the play.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Red

Denise,<BR>I just returned from London and saw two plays. We went during the week so there were people coming after work and had on nice clothes. On the weekend it may be different. I wore my black stretchy travel pants and a nice blouse/jacket thing. The theater was very hot (we were in the balcony) and my husband ended up taking off his sport coat. I would suggest dressy casual in layers so you can take something off if you get hot. It may be different down on the floor.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Vita

I attended mostly West End productions. I wore casual slacks (the ones I usually wear for work) and turtlenecks. I didn't notice what anyone else was wearing, but I didn't feel underdressed.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Lori

We go to the theater a lot when in London and it appears "anything goes" when it comes to dress, however the prevailing look seems to be "business casual". Black slacks, nice blouse and/or jacket of some sort will take you anyplace. Men to do need to wear suits,ties. I'd stay away from jeans, shorts, too much skin hanging out etc. and opt for business or dressy casual. You will see everything tho. Many theaters can be warm (hot at times) and if you sit close to the stage the lights can make it even hotter. I'd wear a short sleeve top under a light jacket/sweater that could be removed.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Lori

Ooops .. I meant that men do NOT need to wear suits and ties. (I guess I need my coffee)

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:10 PM
t

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:12 PM
t

top for merry

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 12:24 AM
proute

Most theatre patrons in London would agree that dress be limited to tight white underwear for men and exposed titties for the "other woman".