What to wear for the opera?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I will be in Prague and Vienna in December. I have tickets for the opera in Prague and am considering either opera or ballet tickets for Vienna. I am travelling alone and do not like to check bags, so I travel light. Can I wear jeans to these events? If not, how dressy do I have to get? Will black slacks and a sweater be ok? I usually don't pack extra shoes, but I guess I could squeeze an extra pair in my bag if need be. Also, I will probably be walking back and forth to the theaters, so heels are out. So are skirts as it will be cold. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Slightly dressy black pants and a knit top or silk shirt would work very nicely and not take much packing room. If you travel light, jeans add weight. In December, light wool would be better in any event. It can be very cold.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 03:25 PM

I have worn black wool pants with a dark cashmere sweater and some bangles to the opera in Vienna and it was fine, at least no one threw their playbill at me.

I had on a nice coat and black flats. What coat are you wearing?
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 03:29 PM
yk

I wore black pants and sweater. Unless you're sitting in the most expensive section, I don't think you need to worry about getting too dressed up. I wouldn't wear jeans unless you're close to the nosebleed section. Don't worry about shoes - no one will look at them.

Just FYI, in Vienna, you HAVE to check your coat. Period.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

As for my coat, I can't take an extra as much as I would like. I will bring my down filled water proof 3/4 length jacket. Not fancy, but warm and weather proof. So I am glad to hear that I will have to check it in Vienna.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 05:25 PM

Make it simple. Black and cream.

Make a little shopping stop at Chicos and pick up a black travel outfit, with great versatility. They have one on the rack right now with a tank, jacket and slacks in no-wrinkle fabric. It's light, so it will pack easily and take up less space than that pair of jeans. There's always the choice of a comfy heel without them being pumps. Don't pack them. Treat yourself to a pair when you get there.

Wear some lovely pearl earrings and necklace, the bigger the better, and faux is fine. This will give you a little elegance. Pick up a lovely silk scarf along the way.

Finally, leave your 3/4 down coat at home. Wear a lovely black cashmere coat or cape. No matter what you wear under that cape, you'll feel dressed for any occasion!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Chico's suggestion mom23, I will check it out. As for my coat, I would not consider bringing anything but the one I have already chosen. I will be travelling by train and out and about during the day. A cashmere coat or cape will not help me much if it rains.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 06:44 PM
yk

The chico outfit that mom23 described doesn't sound warm enough for December in Prague & Vienna.

elcon - if you have dark wool pants, black or grey, those will work just fine. I won't waste $ and time on buying new outfit if you already have something usable from your wardrobe.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you yk. I will try and pull something together. Black usually works!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:16 PM

Agreed, the Chicos Travelers outfit is way to lightweight for Dec in Prague and Vienna. Stick with a nice pair of black wool pants, a black sweater and a beautiful scarf(worn as a shawl) that you can pick up over there. Each of these pieces can be mixed and matched with other items that you are taking. As far as the coat goes, the one you describe is just fine. After many trips to this area during Dec. I have found that dressing simple and warm is far more important than being a fashionista. I find that men tend to dress more formally than women. Sport coats are the norm for many restaraunts and events where a simple shirt or sweater would be acceptable in the USA.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Wear the black pants, and not jeans. (Which opera in Prague will you be seeing - and at which hall?)Enjoy!
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 12:38 AM

Please...Dress down. You are travelling alone. Today, there are no dress codes except personal taste. Wear or carry a sweater/jacket as your seat area may be cold. Consider a taxi back to the hotel.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 01:06 AM

I have been to Opera/classical music concerts many times in Prague and in most of the major venues,people do dress up for the occasion,jeans and sneakers are totally out of place.
the only place you will see the majority dressed this way is at the "tourist" concerts in the smaller church venues.
At the Municiple House(Obnici Dum),the National Opera,National Theatre,The Estates Theatre and the Rudolfinium the vast majority of people will be dresseded up for the occasion.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 02:15 AM

I will never forget going to the opera house in Vienna when I was a student. Students can get there an hour beforehand and get deeply discounted seats, I think I paid 7 euros. I went with a group, but we were scattered about the hall. My ticket ended up being in a fabulous box (the front seat!). I was not prepared at all, I was wearing jeans, sporty shoes and my big winter coat. The woman next to me was in a long gown and elbow length gloves. It was quite an experience. Later in the same trip we did the same thing at the opera in Prague and did dress up as much as we could-a sweater and black pants. Both were wonderful!
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 06:22 AM

This is the time to wear that special item. Do you have (or can you borrow ) a special fancy shawl like a spanish shawl & wear over the basic black outfit (and take a coat of course anyway )

As for shoes you culd take a black pair of ballerina style made of fabric or velvet (they fold) even some cheapos just for that day.
You can always wash them later if it rains. If you had a black skirt you could still wear some basic boots if they are classic looking and IF you were already taking them.

I find it's also about the hair (chic chignon or topknot versus poofy hair for example) and refined but elegant jewlery, even if it's not real gold while traveling.