Do we need dress clothes? Vienna in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am bringing one dress that can be used to dress up or down. I may need it for a play in London. My husband is meeting me later in Austria. Are there any events in Saltzburg, Vienna or Prague at this time of the year that would require dress clothes? We do have reservations at Griechenbeisl in Vienna for one night, but from what I understand, that is casual. Since we are not in any one place for very long, most of the time we tour until we drop and just pick up something quick to eat. I guess there may be some restaurant somewhere that we do not want to miss. If he does bring dress clothes, are light colored dress pants and a long sleeve collared shirt sufficient? Shoes are another issue. His casual shoes look somewhat dressy. I would hate to pack dark pants with black dress shoes if he will not need them.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:29 AM

Well, if you don't pack them and turn out wanting to go somewhere that requires a nicer look, you'll just have to go somewhere more casual instead. It really isn't all that complicated.

Seems like adults should take at least one "dress" outfit--nice trousers and a long-sleeved shirt if you are a man--on vacation unless you plan on backapcking the whole time.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:38 AM

I depends what you plan on doing. I will be bringing a dress or pants suit because I am going to some theater in July in Vienna. It will not, however, be the type of attire I would wear at home because I simply cannot bring my entire wardrobe.

I am home exchanging, which means I do have a washer in the apartment making laundry a snap. Unfortunately, there is no dryer--fairly common in Europe. You just hang up the stuff to dry!
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
ira

>If he does bring dress clothes, are light colored dress pants and a long sleeve collared shirt sufficient? <

The pants and shirt will usually be OK in Summer, but what has this to do with dress clothes?

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Dark colors usually look dressier. He's already bringing tan pants that are dressy looking.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 01:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would put priority on packing, then choose places you are suitably dressed for (rather than the other way around). I try to avoid the "might need it" items in favor of packing lighter.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 01:13 PM
ira

>I would put priority on packing, then choose places you are suitably dressed for..<

I think that I would choose the places I wished to go and pack accordingly.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM

Keep in mind that Vienna in July can be quite hot and humid; plan your wardrobe accordingly.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 01:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
ira, For me it is really one in the same. I would not want to go to fancy places that required more than my normal (fairly nice) travel wardrobe.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM

I agree with the above sentiments. Mostly on holidays I look for restaurants and places where any sort of attire is OK. I like to bring as little as possible. I simply beat my traveling clothes to death over the course of a 4 week trip, doing laundry as needed (easy when you have a washer where you are staying). However, on this trip I have tickets to a couple of evening performances that I would not want to wear jeans or the like to. So, a pants suit or that ubiquitous black travel dress from Travel Smith will go in the luggage.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 10:16 AM

I am of the opinion that tan pants in Vienna would be more the trademark of an American tourist than they would be "dress" slacks.

I hope your theater is air conditioned.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM

One of the theaters is an outdoor theater in Morbisch. It is on a lake and naturally air conditioned.