Jeans/T-Shirt OK in Vienna Fancy Cafes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondring since cafes like Imperial and Sacher are in 5-star properties!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Jeans are fine - you'll find these places are full of casually dressed tourists just like you. Don't feel intimidated!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alot Kate!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 04:37 AM
ira

Make sure that the tee shirt has some sort of unpleasant message on it.

Patrons and management of 5* hotels like that sort of thing.

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Personally I would never wear just jeans and T-shirt to a 5* restaurant. I have been to the Sacher and stayed at the Imperial and now-a days,I'm sure you'll find all kinds of outfits. Advisably, I'd put a jacket, blazer or nice sweater on with this kind of outfit and then you'll be fine.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:48 PM

A couple more thoughts. The Viennese tend to dress very well. They would not wear jeans and T-shirt. Also I've assumed you are thinking of lunch,Sacher Torte or such and not dinner. I'm sure there is (hopefully) a dress code in their restaurants. Although jeans and T-shirts are an important part of my wardrobe, I would not wear them to either the Sacher or Imperial. As stated before there will likely be tourists wearing such but a jacket, sweater would make easy improvement.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:51 PM

What jeans? What T-shirt?

Jeans coupled with a t-shirt, and a smart jacket will take you anywhere. That's what I wear to most parties now. Open neck shirts are over. Skinny ties are in. However, tie/shirt is far too much of an evening look, so stick with fine cotton t-shirt, and skinny jeans.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I was definitely talking about lunch while/after sight-seeing!

I know that wearing a jacket on top of almost anything makes one look a lot more sophisticated if you will, but what would you wear at 1 PM to such upscale places if it were boiling outside?

Traveling between November and March makes it a lot easier when one goes to such places doesn't it!

Oh thanks ira, I will seriously consider that, NOT
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Okay mnss, I have no idea about skinny ties but a good pair of jeans and nice T-shirt will be okay for lunch. Do be aware that sometimes the wait staff will react to your attire. They, of course, won't say anything but you'll know that they think your dress choice inappropriate. And some (the best) won't bat an eye. It is also unlikely to be terribly hot. Not impossible but not likely.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Go with a pair of nice clean fitting jeans and a nice fitting top, look like a with it guy attitude and no problem.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 05:20 AM

I too wore jeans to the Sacher Cafe in Vienna. We stopped in for some desert and coffee after a few hours of sightseeing. I didn't feel uncomfortable in the least. The jeans I wore were a nice pair and I paired them with a sweater (I was there in the winter) and I felt like I fit in with many others who were wearing similar outfits.

I'm not sure about the Imperials, but Sacher is used to tourists wearing more comfortable clothing so you should be fine.

Tracy
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 05:21 AM

Sorry for the typos...its too early in the morning!

Regardless of what you are wearing, you will have a great time. Vienna is a fabulous city. Enjoy!

Tracy
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 05:46 AM

mnss,

Here's the other side of the story --

Before one of my trips to Switzerland, my Swiss friend called me and suggested that I leave my blue jeans at home.

A few years later, we were having dinner at a nice restaurant on Lake Zurich when a man (French, I believe) walked in wearing nice blue jeans and a sport coat. My friend raised her eyebrows and rolled her eyes at me.

As historytraveler notes above, the wait staff and other patrons will notice your attire. They won't let on (too much grace and professionalism), but they will notice. You'll be perpetuating a stereotype about Americans that goes all the way back to Henry James and his "Daisy Miller."

If it were me, I would take the time to freshen up and change or I would eat at a casual place.

s
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 06:02 AM
ira

Hi Mn,

Wearing only jeans and a tee shirt at the Sacher or Imperial screams "nonkulturny".

A cotton sweater would, at least, lower the volumn.

Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:01 AM

I would never wear jeans to a special place. I would hate to be the one black spot on a beautiful landscape.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:08 AM

I'll probably never go to a place where I cannot be myself and dress like myself. I don't wear sportive shoes , don't wear flashy colors, I wear solid colors most of the time and jeans...I'm pretty classical.
If they don't like the way I am, I 'm not going to argue
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:37 AM

Why is it such an ordeal to do the dreaded "dress up" for a particular occasion or place? We've gotten too casual for my tastes and I hope the pendulum swings the other way before we're all going everywhere in our pajamas.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:42 AM

I guess my idea of "dressing up" differs than others. I think that a nice pair of jeans can be dressed up when paired with the right shoes and top, and I felt that wearing a pair of dark jeans with a sweater and a pair of stylish heeled boots to the Sacher Cafe was fine. I don't think I would go into the cafe in a t-shirt or a pair of Nikes though, although I did see a few tourists wearing that kind of attire.

I don't mind "dressing up" at home but on vacation I would rather save the suitcase space.

Tracy
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 08:35 PM
hdm

Ira's post reminds me of my favourite t-shirt experience in Venice. There we were in St. Mark's Square, on a beautiful moonlit night with people milling about, orchestras playing, the clink of wine glasses...the whole romantic bit. A young girl wearing a green t-shirt and blue jeans was walking in front of me and when she stopped and turned around, there it was in big white letters -- "GITTIN' LUCKY IN KENTUCKY!" It was so anachronistic, I had to laugh.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 03:58 AM

I have seen many Viennese men wearing blue jeans, shirt with tie and a dark-greenish blazer. But never a t-shirt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -