What to see in Milan

Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

What to see in Milan

We are going to Milano in September. What must we see besides the Last Supper and the shopping district? We'll only be there for 2 days. Any recommendations for a hotel close to the historic city?
Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM

We will also be in Milan in late September and would love some advice on what to do with a couple of days.
Thanks, Lissa
Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:56 PM

Visit the duomo and don't miss going to the top & walking around the roof - one of my favorites admiring all the spires with their statues.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:31 PM

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed Milan when we were there for 2 days last year.

We stayed in Hotel Spadari, great hotel, great location.

I would love to return to Pinacoteca Ambrosiana, a delightful small museum, located a or so block from Hotel Spadari. The building it’s housed in is charming, with an idyllic courtyard. It has a da Vinci (The Musician), a bunch of Tintoretto, and others, and in a separate, darkened room, Raphael’s cartoon (sketch) for School of Athens.

In the Brera neighborhood is the Pinocateca di Brera, supposedly the one art museum in Milan that you should go to. The stars of the museum are Andrea Mantegna’s “Dead Christ,” Raphael’s “Betrothal of the Virgin,” and Piero della Francesca’s “Madonna with Saints.” And many Tiepolo, Tintoretto, etc. Then, near the end, a big surprise tucked in. In a back room were some Rubens, a Rembrandt, some van Dycks, etc. In any museum in the U.S. (except maybe the Met, in NYC), these would be the best works in the museum!

The Brera neighborhood is great for walking and people-watching, with lots of cafes (and fortune-tellers, for some reason). My husband said it reminded him of Paris, except without lots of cars rushing by.

Castello Sforzesco has several museums, and is located in a pretty park with some neat-looking ruins that I couldn't identify. We only visited the sculpture museum, to see their Michelangelo.

Enjoy!
Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:00 PM

If you're interested in opera, you could go to the museum of La Scala which also provides a peek into the theater from one of the boxes.

I like the Navigli district at night. It's kind of an arty area with shops, cafes and wine bars lining the canals.