Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is the Duomo Museum in Milan, Italy, closed for renovation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read in a guidebook that the Duomo Museum in Milan would likely be closed for renovation in 2007. Could anyone tell me if this is in fact the case? Of course, I'm hoping not since I would like to go there in late May. Also, if it is closed, can the rooftop still be reached?
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Hello Kristinelaine, I wish you had posted this question a few days ago as I was just talking to a friend in Milan and he probably would have known.

When you get to Milan you will certainly find out..I "think" I heard the Museum was closed but I "think" the rooftop can be reached. Anyway whatever the circumstances are regarding the Duomo Museum etc., I would think you will enjoy Milan.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Hey, I'm an American living conveniently about an hour North of Milan. Last time I was in town the Duomo was open, it just had massive ugly scaffolding on the outside of it. they're definitely renovating, but as far as I know it's not closed. I could be wrong, though.

BE CAREFUL!

Milan is horrible for pickpockets. Watch your back (especially in train and metro stations, and in the large squares).
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

insanechick -- I was wondering if the Duomo MUSEUM is open or closed for renovation. Can you help?
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 05:13 AM

I'm currently studying in Milan and my mother and aunt came and visited me last week. We tried to go into the museum and it is closed. However, you can still get to the roof where there is a gorgeous view of Milan and on a very clear day you can see the Alps. I recommend bringing up a panini to the top and just taking it all in. It's gorgeous.
Also, as you've been told before, be careful around the duomo. Just always watch your purse and be careful of the men and women who are selling bracelets. They say they're free, but they're not. Sometimes I have even seen them "throw" the bracelets at people to make them take them. Just be careful. I told my mom and aunt to walk with their arms folded as they've even tried to place the bracelets on people's wrists.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

auro006 -- Thanks so much for all the helpful information. It is good to be forewarned about situations so that one is not caught off-guard. Thanks again.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:01 AM
rex

<< Last time I was in town the Duomo was open, it just had massive ugly scaffolding on the outside of it. >>

Updates, from anyone with recent experience who might know the timetable of this? Months? years? "when they get done"? Any educated guess for whether this will still be there the second half of September?

Thanks in advance, for any replies...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

We were there about two weeks ago and the scaffolding was covering about the bottom 1/3 (or a little more) of the front. Don't know how fast they are moving. Sorry.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:05 AM

I was there May 2006 - and the duomo was covered in scaffolding back then. So I think it's a rather long-term job!

I was, however, able to walk around on top of the duomo and as another poster recommended, it's a great walk - not just for the view but to enjoy all the architecture.