what to do in milan

Search

what to do in milan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to do in milan

i'll be in Milan for a couple days while my honey is in a meeting. What can i do by myself. I don't speak italian. I really don't want to just sit at the hotel.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 04:28 AM

1. The cathedral (Duomo) - make sure to walk on the roof, it is amazing!

2. The Museum of the Duomo - medieval art.

3. The Leonardo da Vinci Museum of Science and Technology.

4. Galleria Victor Emmanuele II - 19th century architecture, shopping.

5. The Scala.

6. Poldi Pezzoli Museum (medieval paintings).

7. Ca' Grande (medieval hospital)

8. Ambrogiana Art Gallery (Caravaggio etc.)

9. Church of Saint Ambrose (romanesque)

10.Sforza Castle

11.Santa Maria delle Grazie (they have a remarkable fresco inside...)

The numbers do not imply an order. No. 11 is Milan's main attraction of course.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 04:40 AM

The Duomo is def a must see as is La Scala.
I would recommend getting some Saffron Risotto
My wife says she had the best Tiramisu ever at the Galleria Vittorio Emanuelle.
walking down Via Manzoni and do some actual or window shopping...
If you have the time, the inclination and the company Venice is not that far away...
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 04:49 AM

#11--A remarkable fresco!!!!!!!

Shopping--new and secondhand.

Brera district.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 04:51 AM

you can also try some good bargains at discount shops around Milan, i remember we got some stuff as gifts for people from Il Salvagente.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 04:58 AM

Yes! Il Salvagente is great, or at least it was when I was last in Milan...
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

thanks everybody! Skinny lizard, we will be going to venice for a couple days- I can't wait!
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Just found out we'll be staying at the Michaelangelo hotel. What is within walking distance?
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 10:10 AM

Are you planning to do any reading at all on Milan?

How many people here do you think know the address of your hotel by memory? You might get more response if you at least let us know where the hotel is located!
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 12:47 PM

ekscrunchy - you got it!
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

there is no reason to get snotty. Is there more than one michealangelo hotel? Never mind. I'll head back to Frommer's. the people there aren't such snobs.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 07:30 PM

Our highlights while in Milan...

1. Brera Neighborhood: Very charming, walkable neighborhood with great places to eat and snack.

2. Gelato: Chocolate -- the shop, not the flavor. Our cab driver said the gelato here was the best in Europe. It was pretty incredible.

3. Food: two outstanding dinners at Bebel and Le Torre di Pisa. Both sort of medium-range in terms of price, but incredibly delicious. Also enjoyed Obika Mozzarella Bar (I think it's actually a chain). Had drinks and mozzarella buffet during "happy hour" -- Fantastic!

4. Seeing the Last Supper: the audio guide made all the difference for adults and teens alike. Amazing. (reservation made 6 months in advance!)

5. La Scala: Wow! We paid admission to the museum to gain access to the various boxes in the theater. Like nothing we’ve seen before. Beautiful!

6. The roof of the Siena duomo: We took the elevator to the top (no line at 5pm) and walked among the buttresses and spires. Unbelievable! It took almost 500 years to build this place. Don’t miss it!

7. Walking along the main fashion streets: I thought they were quite charming -- cobblestone, some pedestrian only. My teenage fashion-conscience daughter was a bit disappointed. I guess she was expecting too much for “the fashion capital of the world”!!

8. Day trip to Lake Como: Very easy and inexpensive one hour train ride direct to Varenna. (something like 5 euro each?) I’ll put a separate section on Lake Como below.

9. Checking out the Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele: beautiful! There is a great book store, as well, with a nice English book section. We were all ready for new books and had fun browsing here.

Have fun!
Dina
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 11:16 PM

if you have the time and are into clothes, there is a mall an hour from Milan which is almost all discounted brands. i wanted to go but we didnt have the time on my last trip.

i cant recall the name as of now but i am sure someone here could guide you to it.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

thank you. If you had the choice would you A)stay overnight in Venice or B) just spend the day and then go to lake Como the following day? (keep in mind, George Clooney won't be there, he's here in St. Louis making a movie!)
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 07:18 AM

If you have two days (and one night only) I suggest you to stay in Milan: it's not the best you can do in Italy but in such a little time it's better not moving from town.
Most of the 11 attractions mentioned by traveller1959 need an accurate visit, in addition you can walk in some pleasant areas as Parco delle Basiliche or the "Fashion Triangle" (via Montenapoleone and surroundings) or the area between Piazza del Duomo and the Castle.
If one day is enough to be bored by Milan, the second day you can take the train and go to Como or Stresa. If you want to see something little known but really astonishing you can reach (always by train) in 40 minutes Vigevano and discover one of the best rinascimental square in Italy, tasting a fantastic ice cream in an outdoor coffee house in "Piazza Ducale". http://www.piazzaducale.org/index_2.htm
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM

skinnylizard,

Do you remember the name of the shop in Galleria Vittorio Emanuelle where you got the tiramisu?
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 09:41 PM

i dont remember the name but i remember the location. it was bang opposite Rizzoli with outdoor seating.

the wife regrets to this day not having had another one....
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Travelteri, the people here are not snobs, but they can not explain and describe you all that is already written in all books. Take a book, or enter Fodor's or Frommer's Destination and read here about Milan, Venice, Como, etc.. then come and ask specific questions.
Nobody know your taste, so nobody can not recommend something when you ask so general questions.
You can read in Forum discussion about all the places where you want to be and can learn from them and take ideas.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM

Hello Travelteri, the hotel you will be staying at has to be the very high rise hotel right at the location of the Centrale Train Station in Milan. There is a Metro station there that you can take to go to the Duomo and the Galleria. Your hotel will be sure to give you any imformation that you need as you are not familar with Milan. The hotel will no doubt also have a map of Milan to give you. The Duomo/Galleria/LaScala Opera House is southwest of the where your hotel is located.

I love Milan and I hope you do also. It is the financial and fashion center of Italy. English will be spoken by anyone you come in contact with I am sure. Two days on your own while your husband is in meetings will no doubt go by too fast!
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:04 AM

This site has some lovely photos of Milan:
http://russell.dyerhouse.com/cgi-bin...gi?album=milan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -