Amsterdam weather in mid-May

Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Amsterdam weather in mid-May

We will be in Amsterdam for several days in mid May. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like and what type of clothing would be best for a woman to pack? After that, we are going to Africa on safari,therefor I was hoping to pack "multi-use" clothes, but maybe that isn't realistic. Any input is greatly appreciated, including whether boots for rainy weather would be needed.
Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:18 PM

Everything can happen in May:

Beautiful warm and sunny spring weather with temps in the 70ies, even in the 80ties (most likely) or rainy weather with temps as low as 60 or even 55.

So take something for every situation. A light raincoat and umbrella is always a good idea.

But as said, warm and sunny weather is most likely.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:45 AM

As traveller says anything can happen.
You will probably need something warm for your African evenings anyway, so that will be multi-use. (It cools down rapidly once the sun sets there).
Something lightweight and waterproof is also multi-use - it has been known to rain in Africa in May occasionally too. You won't need boots if you are sticking to Amsterdam and other cities, just some good shoes, which again are a good idea for any walking you may get to do in Africa (if you are lucky enough to get the chance do go for a walk in Africa - are you going to Tanzania?).
Sandals are also multi use, should the weather be warm. I hope it will be, but you can never tell.
Likewise any clothing you are likely to wear in Africa, with the said warm item over it if need be will be multi use.
Alternatively, if you are returning through Schiphol leave a bag with your "Amsterdam clothes" in a locker at the airport and retrieve it on your return journey. You will have to go land side to do that, but you hopefully have a long connection time.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:40 AM

Ah I see you are going to Botswana and SA. In that case you will need warm clothes I should imagine, so anything you take for Southern Africa will be fine for the Netherlands, a fleece or similar for if it is nippy, and something lightweight and waterproof for if it rains.
Multi use clothing is the way to go, if you have the means to wash it that it is.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:50 AM

Mid May is the driest time of the year in Holland but still be prepared for all-day drizzles and also chilly days. Dress in layers.

Try to see Keukenhof if you get a sunny day.

Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:19 AM

When we were in Amsterdam in August 2007, there were days it was in the low 60s. Granted, it was a period of a European cold wave, but still, that shows how much you should be prepared with some layers, especially in May.

I agree with the posters above--boots aren't something I'd pack. A mini-umbrella, yes! There's always room in a suitcase for a pair of cheap gloves, a multi-use neck/head scarf, and some silk thermal underwear. That way you can keep your overall clothing list prepared for heat, but have enough stuff to layer if the temperature plummets.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:54 AM

Good grief we're talking mid May here in the Netherlands, not the Arctic Even in the recent cold snap we had, when skating was possible on the canals, I never wore thermal underwear, or even a scarf for that matter. Only on the coldest days did I wear gloves.
Even if you are coming from somewhere warm these are not things you need to pack for the Netherlands in mid May. South Africa maybe (though unlikely).

Keukenhof closes on May 21st at the latest. If we get a warm spring it could be earlier.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:53 AM

>>a pair of cheap gloves, a multi-use neck/head scarf, and some silk thermal underwear<<

It will not get THAT cold. A light jacket (we call this "summer jacket") will do. A light-weight mini umbrella is a good idea. No boots, just walking shoes - however, for Africa, you need sturdy boots.

Most likely you will have beautiful, warm weather in Amsterdam.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your ideas! I love hearing from you! Will leave the boots at home, and will pack some things for beautiful weather, as well as cooler days.
Spaarne-love the suggestion of Keukenhof! Will be there around May 14, hopefully the bloom will still be beautiful.
Thanks everyone!