What to see/do in Copenhagen?

Jan 30th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

What to see/do in Copenhagen?

We (my daughter 21 and mother,75 and me 55) will be arriving on May 24th early morning to Copenhagen for 2 days before our cruise. I am assuming we can leave our luggage in the hotel, but won't be able to check in until later (we arrive at 8:30am). We will have Sunday the 24th, Monday the 25th and the morning of Tuesday the 26th before our boarding. I've got a guidebook, of course, but was wondering what anyone would consider a "must see". We like churches, castles, shopping, musuems, etc... Does anyone know if things will be closed on Sunday or Monday??

Thanks for any help...

GirlScoutMom
Jan 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Personally, I'm not convinced there are that many must-see sights. Tivoli is probably the closest thing, but even that can leave some underwhelmed.

This isn't to say that Copenhagen isn't a great place to visit, it is just that I find the charm to be in just wandering around the city and seeing what is around the corner. Nyhavn should be pretty hopping by then, and sitting outside watching the people go by is fun. Wander along the Stroget, taking in the shops along the way (top choices would include: Sand, Illum, Illums Bolighus, Royal Copenhagen). Maybe head over to Christiania.

For sites, Rosenborg is nice. I also think a harbor cruise is a nice break from walking around. Further afield, you might try Helsingor Castle (Hamlet) or Frederiksbrg Palace in Hillerod. Also check out the Marble Church. For a more modern take, I think the Opera House offers tours, and it is a beautiful building.
Jan 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM

Yes, the charm is strolling the city and enjoying the delightful people. I lived there for 20-plus years of summers and enjoyed it immensely. Make sure you pack a sturdy umbrella. Happy Travels!
Jan 30th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Take a boat tour of the canals and harbor from Nyhavn. Great fun and lots to see.
Jan 31st, 2009, 05:50 AM
ira

Hi Mom,

Did you look up Copenhagen under "Destinations"?

If the city palls, you can visit my favorite castle:
http://wictor.dk/wictor/frederiksborg/frbslotGB.html

Also go to Roskilde for the Cathedral and the Viking Ship Musueum.

Jan 31st, 2009, 06:19 AM

travelgourmet summed it up perfectly, Copenhagen is best enjoyed by strolling the city.

I found the free state of Christiania quirky and enjoyable, loved watching the changing of the guards at Amalienborg Palace, and walking Stoget was fun. Tivoli is cool and there are plenty of things to do there if you're not into the rides. Kronborg Castle in Helsingor is only about a 45 minute train ride away and the town is small and manageable.

Look into the Copenhagen Card for free public transportation and admission into museums, which I think many are closed on Monday.
Jan 31st, 2009, 08:22 AM

See the crown jewels at Rosenborg castle in Copenhagen.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the suggestions.. My mom will especially like the people watching and just strolling along the streets. Me too, just didn't want to miss something because it didn't pop out at me on a website or in the guidebook...

Thanks Again..
Feb 2nd, 2009, 01:13 PM

We very much wanted to see the Resistance Museum but neglected to check when it was closed. We settled for a little tour of St. Alban's Anglican church nearby, where two delightful English ladies gave us a tour.

The Catholic cathedral, St.Ansgar's, is also quite attractive.

We took a hop-on/hop-off bus tour that was fun.

Feb 2nd, 2009, 04:42 PM

Copenhagen has a couple of castles, several (to me) interesting museums (art, history, WWII) as well as several charming neighborhoods to explore and Tivoli - which again are charming - for dinner, strolling the gardens, fireworks etc. I've been there 3 times and always find more to do.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 08:39 PM

My great-grandmother came from Kobenhavn and great-grandfather came from Odense,on Fyn. I love just cruising the canals on the DFDS canal tours, wondering if they looked at the same buildings so many years ago. Just soak up the atmosphere, and hopefully some sunshine, and definitely have a polser from one of the stands-delicious!

There are lots of nice restaurants inside the Tivoli. Our server was lamenting that young people don't eat their fish like they should; nowadays they want beef instead. I tried the fiske with cream dill sauce and it was delicious!