Reload this Page >

must-sees/ dos in Copenhagen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 04:58 PM
SA

My husband and I have a layover in Copenhagen for a full day (september 24). Does anyone know of anything we definitely shouldn't miss? (Any must-sees or must-dos in Copenhagen).<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Joe

SA: If you will type in "Copenhagen" in the "Text Search" window at the top the page and then click on find, you will find more information about Copenhagen than you could ever imagine (my own contributions included). Copenhagen is great fun. You will enjoy it.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Benita

These are things you should try to see and do while in Copenhagen.<BR><BR>Start at the Tivoli amusement park, the most famous attraction in the city. While there, have a meal at the Cafe Ketchup (formerly called Divan I), one of Tivoli's oldest restaurants.<BR><BR>Across the street (Vesterbrogade) is the Radisson SAS Royal Hotel, designed by Arne Jacobsen and opened in 1960. Beautiful building with its marble and wood paneled lobby and spiral staircase. My husband and I stayed there for a week last summer, and will be there again later this week for a couple nights before starting a Baltic cruise.<BR><BR>The Stroget pedestrian street is a must for shopping, with both larger chain stores and boutiques and specialty shops nearby.<BR><BR>There's three Royal castles in central Copenhagen. Christiansborg Slot, close to the Stroget, where you can take either a guided one-hour tour or a briefer self-guided tour. Amalienborg Slot on Bredgade, the residence of Queen Margrethe II, is located across the street from Alexander Nevsky Kirke, a Russian Orthodox church. Finally there's the Rosenborg Slot, a seventeenth century castle, which also houses the crown jewels of Denmark.<BR><BR>Close to the Amalienborg Slot, you'll find the Kunstindustrimuseet, with beautiful decorative arts. Serves nice lunches at its garden cafe.<BR><BR>On your way to see the famous Little Mermaid statue, stop at the Kastellet (Citadel) to check out the former navy barracks, built in the seventeenth century.<BR><BR>You'll see many canals in Christianshavn, and the Vor Frelsers Kirke (church) where you can (if you can!) climb up to its high steeple, only about 400 steps! <BR><BR>You should be able to see all of this in one day, and can probably walk to all of them.<BR><BR>Good luck, have fun, you'll love Copenhagen.<BR><BR>Benita

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 09:07 PM
SA

Wow! Thank u so much for all this info. This will definitely make a great iteniary.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 12:15 AM
Kate

My suggestion is a little more offbeat, but, if you like social history, check out the Workers' Museum. Among other things, the museum has reconstructed the living quarters of a turn-of-the-century working class family. If you want some insight into the lives of ordinary people (working conditions, housing, clothes, furniture), this is a great place. Plus it's very close to one of the major parks (the botanical gardens, I think).

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:35 PM
x

What type of food is served in Copenhagen? Any great restaurants that my wife and I should try?