Reload this Page >

Places to visit in Copenhagen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Susan

With only two days in Copenhagen, what are the best places to visit? We enjoy history and learning about the country and the people. Thanks for your suggestions.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Joe

Susan: Type Copenhagen in the search window at the top of the page. Click on find. You will get more Copenhagen information than you bargained for, my own included. Copenhagen is a fun city and you can do a lot of it in two days. Have a great time.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Shannon

Susan,<BR>Having just returned from Copenhagen 3 days ago, I'll tell you what we enjoyed doing. For history (and beauty), visit Rosenborg Castle, a red-brick Renaissance style building, that is quite beautiful and has an outstanding garden and park. It also houses the crown jewels. They give you a little card explaining what each room you visit is. There are 3 floors full of stuff, including bathrooms!<BR><BR>On your way to see the Little Mermaid, you can stop at Amalienborg Palace (which you can now visit -- we didn't), and see the guards dressed in black bearskin busbies.<BR><BR>Strolling the Stroget is a must, but when you hit the fountain with the flying geese (I think they're geese), turn left at the corner where Ilium Dept Store is, and head down that pedestrian street.<BR><BR>Our favorite walk (especially when sunny) is Nyhavn. Sitting at a cafe along this street is good fun just people watching. The buildings along this street are beautiful. Tons of interesting buildings and architecture at the begining of Nyhavn at Kongens Nytorv.<BR><BR>Finally, you must visit Tivoli Gardens at night. It's history in and of itself, but incredibly beautiful. If you're there in summer, on Weds & Sat. they have a laser light show to music, lighting up the lake, followed by fireworks.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Susan

Thank you for your ideas! I am learning how to navigate this website and the information has been very, very helpful. A related question - how best to spend the day in Copenhagen on a Sunday? From our experience in the British Isles, many tourist places and stores are closed on that day. Sunday will be our full day in Copenhagen. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Anna

I believe both Kronb&oslash;rg and Fredricksb&oslash;rg castles are open on Sunday. You can do either or both in one day. Fredricksb&oslash;rg is the very ornate palace built by Christian IV, nearly bankrupting the country in the process. It is in Hiller&oslash;d, outside Copenhagen. Jump on the S-tog (suburban commuter train) to Hiller&oslash;d. You can take the Lillenor train from there to Helsing&oslash;r to see Kronb&oslash;rg castle, which is more of a fortress and less ornate than Fredricksb&oslash;rg, but full of history. You can look across from the castle ramparts and see Sweden. You can take a DSB regional train back to Copenhagen from Helsing&oslash;r, or you could take a quick and cheap ferry ride over to Sweden and back if you want another stamp on your passport. Get a 48-hour Copenhagen Card at the airport or the TI office near Tivoli when you arrive. Covers many tourist sites and all busses and trains in and around Copenhagen for miles, including the ones mentioned above. You may or may not break even on the cost, but it is so much less hassle to jump on a bus or train and flash your card than to try to figure out their semi-complicated system of zones and clipcards. Also, if you will be using the busses, get a good map at the bus center in Radhuspladsen (the town square) for about 50 cents (or at least it was in 1998)<BR>A couple of other places to get a good sense of the history and the people are the National Museum (free on Wednesday's or with a Copenhagen Card) for ancient history (free internet access in the media center off the main lobby) and the Museum of the Danish Resistance for WWII buffs. (free admission anytime) The Resistance Museum is on your way out to see the Little Mermaid, but if you only have 2 days i would skip the mermaid. She is really rather anticlimactic. Surrounded by tourists and with a really scenic (Not!) industrial backdrop. Buy a postcard.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:58 PM
L

We really enjoyed getting on a train to Roskilde, to visit the Viking museum. It is a peaceful town to stroll, the summer home of the queen. The museum was nice architecture, and full of history.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:06 AM
kate

If you like social history, you should visit the Workers' Museum. It's very close to the centre near the Botanical Gardens, so you can combine it (perhaps spend an hour) with a visit to the nearby parks. The museum in a restored tenement. It's fascinating if you want to know something about the lives of ordinary people in the 19th and 20th centuries - there rooms decorated with period furniture and objects, displays relating to workers' movements, the position of working women, leisure activities, clothes, etc. When I visited in April there was also an interesting exhibition of political cartoons from the 40s-90s. The address is R&oslash;mersgade 22, 1362 K&oslash;benhavn K, Tel: (+45) 33 13 01 52 and its Danish name is Arbejdermuseet. The Museum of the Danish Resistance (Frihedsmuseet) is also very interesting. Churchillparken , 1263 K&oslash;benhavn K

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Susan

Thank you for your great ideas! I will carefully consider each suggestion as we get closer to our departure date.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Dina

Hi, <BR>I hope you don¡¦t mind a question. I am going to Scandinavia in October for 2 weeks. I am landing in Copenhagen and leaving from Stockholm. I was planning on:<BR>„h 3 nights Copenhagen <BR>„h 3 nights Stockholm<BR>„h 1 night Oslo<BR>„h Several days seeing the fjords<BR><BR>I am trying to decide if it is worth going to Helsinki. Do you have any suggestions? <BR>Thanks<BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Joe

Dina (and with respects to Susan): If it means departing from the itinerary you have listed, I would say no. In fact, if you wanted to add something, make it Bergen. Helsinki is nice, gives you another country to visit, but it is not special. Bergen is special.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Steve

"Vinstue 90" at Gammel Kongevej 90 serves the best beer (IMHO) in the world. Very smokey, very Danish.<BR><BR>Steve