Search

What to pack??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Rachael

What to pack??

I need help! Trying to put together a list of things we should pack for our honeymoon to Ireland. We will be traveling next September. What is best to wear for that time of year and most culturally acceptable?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Tony Hughes

Culturally acceptable??????? Oh come on, Rachael.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:20 PM
RnR

Rachael, give us some idea of itinerary, plans for the days, how upscale your selections, etc. Give us some idea!!! And by all means, what do you mean by culturally acceptable? A bit too open-ended for my tastes, so help.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Janice

Oh Tony, I know perfectly well that you can be more helpful than that - even if it is sort of extremely politically correct.<BR>Rachel, prepare for radical changes in weather about every 15 minutes. The sun will blaze, the skies will pour, you will cook and you will freeze. That's part of the charm of Ireland. Specifically, things that are warm and that will dry quickly, a couple of good sweaters, and a couple of slightly dressy things if you want to go out at night. I've been to very nice restaurants in Dublin in a skirt, tights, flat loafers and a sweater and I was very acceptable. It's a beautiful place, very hospitable and very relaxing, you will have a wonderful time. One of the easiest destinations I've ever visited.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Hiho

Do not, I repeat, do not, leave home without a pareau. Very "in" amongst the hip set this year in Temple Bar.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 08:52 AM
cold

Take a winter coat. I was there in June and didn't expect winter temperatures. I usually wore a turtleneck, heavy sweater, another sweater, a thermal vest and a windbreaker when I got out of the car. The wind blew my tiny travel umbrella inside out, so consider one designed for heavy winds. At least I had waterproof hiking boots along.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Tony Hughes

OK more helpful...<BR><BR>Wear Lederhosen, a yashmak, flares, USA bandana, a pointy 'dunce' hat, who cares?<BR><BR>No in fact wear a fake red beard, dress predominantly in green, talk crap about gold and rainbows and 'the craic' and guinness and you should blend in well. That's culturally acceptable.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Lou

Oh, come on, leave her alone, she could mean what to wear in a Catholic country that dresses conservately. <BR>I would say dress as you would in the UK, but with the idea that the weather changes every hour so take at least one item of clothing for every temperature. And fairly conservative.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Tony Hughes

Lous stop crawling.<BR><BR>Dress Conservatively? Where would you tell someone to do the opposite?

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:29 AM
RnR

Why, Tony, at the north or south pole. Now dress liberally, they used to say.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Lou

What is wrong with you, Tony Hughes? In some countries you dress more conservately than others, don't you know that? Why the attitude? Go away if you can't help Rachael.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Marie

We were there in September 2000. We had fantastic weather. It rained a bit but only when we were not outside. Since we were on a bus the first half of our tour, I dressed comfortably. Casual slacks and a sweater. Carry an umbrella and dress in layers because it can be warm. Depending on the type of trip you are on will depend on the clothes you will need in the evening. We stayed at the castles so had to dress for dinner but our second week was much more casual.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:50 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Honeymoon ?<BR><BR>I suggest a toothbrush and a negligee.<BR><BR>Everything else is available locally !<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Rachael

Well thanks for the replies...despite the few nasty and somewhat rude ones, everyone was helpful. As to our itinerary, we don't have that planned either. We are arriving in Dublin, and doing the B&B thing, mostly, with a couple nights at hotels and castles..this is the first european vacation that I've had to plan before, so I'm not entirely sure of what I'm doing. <BR><BR>When I said "culturally acceptable" I meant, what is best for day trips, nightlife, restraunts, etc. I'm sure its not jeans all the time..

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Janice

Actually I've probably seen more jeans in Ireland than anyplace else I've ever been. But I hate jeans for Ireland - once they get wet they take forever to dry. And at least when I'm in Ireland it rains ever 20 minutes or so....

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:48 AM
ex

Rachael,<BR>You're going to Ireland, not Mars. Pack what you'd normally wear for high 40s to mid 60s weather plus rain gear.<BR><BR>As for the groom, he should pack:<BR>Aspirin and cash, lots of both.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Daisy

I was in Ireland in April. In the rural areas, jeans are fine (all the German tourists and most younger Irish folks are wearing them). I didn't see anyone wearing tennis shoes except kids. My black wool pants and black loafer-style walking shoes got the most use--great with a sweater set for going out to eat at night. I would say my bright red and hot pink sweaters did get some second looks--people tend to wear darker colors. Do dress in layers, the temp. changes all the time. Dublin is the only place where I felt that I would have been comfortable wearing something "unconservative"--it's pretty much like any other big city as far as clothing, and people do dress up more.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Nancy

I am from So. Calif. so I was really chilly in Ireland in September a few years ago. I had to buy a warm jacket in Dublin! The cold wind just went right through me and my clothes, but you may be from a colder climate. Alot of mud too in the country. Jeans were good in the outskirts because you could dust off the mud and dirt, but in town they are conservative and wooly.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:17 AM
Tony Hughes

Ha Ha Ha. That'll teach you to use poncy words.