Notices

Ireland in September

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Andy

Ireland in September

Spending a few days in Ireland in September. Have booked Camden Court hotel in Dublin? Has anyone stayed there? What is the weather like in September? Am meeting up with a tour 3 days after I arrive. Any advice for single female traveler besides the usual safety precautions? Want to make the most of this wonderful trip. Thx

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:44 AM
kelly

Hi, Camden court is quite good- not luxurious but around a 3 star. The area is ok, but can a little rough after dark. But it's safe enough to walk around as long as you keep your wallet etc hidden. Dublin is safe enough, but there are a few no-go areas for lone females after dark. Even the main street, O'Connell st., can get a bit ropey after dark.
The weather in Sept. can be nice- mild, not alot of hot sun, but not a lot of torrential rain either. Noone can predict the weather in Ireland, but it doesn't tend to have extremes of weather like you'd find in places in the US etc.
Have a good time...

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Ann

Well, there's never hot sun in Ireland (my mother-in-law told me the other day that it was "scorching". Turns out it was 62 degrees), but September can be the nicest time of year there.

Watch out for pickpockets. There are a gazillion of them in Dublin.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:23 AM
kelly

If you leave your wallet hanging out of your back pocket, or have an easy to open bag, you might get pick-pocketed. But i have lived for 30 years in Dublin and have never been pick-pocketed, neither has any one I know, nor has any of my family, so I think the previous poster is being a little ridiculous..

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:36 AM
kam

My husband was pick pocketed in Dublin by a young woman. When she realized it was only his checkbook she had gotten, she ran back and returned it! Crazy place!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:11 AM
scotsman

I think Ireland is closed for cleaning in Sept.

Try Scotland, thier cheap, but they wont steal from ya laddies!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Ann

Last time I was in Dublin (in September), I watched a woman pick the pocket of a man right in a pub. I was about to say something when he realized what was going on (she obviously wasn't a very good pickpocket). I also went to Dublin once to watch Down play Gaelic, and 3 of the people who had gone on the bus trip had their pockets picked.

So I guess I'm not entirely ridiculous.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 05:21 PM
nridget

Kelly - A female friend and myself will be spending a few days in Dublin- where are the no-go places for ladies after dark?

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 08:51 AM
kelly

No go areas: well don't go too far along the quays (i.e towards Heuston Station), try to avoid Gardiner st (there are lots of B+Bs there, but it can be rough around that area at night), also avoid North inner city (e.g Summerhill, Sheriff st). But there would be no real reason why you'd go there anyway . O'Connell is the biggest st in Dublin but in my experience the atmosphere can get a bit unpleasant after dark, especially at weekends. You've probably heard of Temple Bar- it's full of pubs and restaurants, but that leads to quite a lot of drunkenness and vomiting, which isn't exactly fun to be around (alot of stag and hen parties go there, many from the UK, and alot of Dublin people really resent the way they treat our city-altho pubs have alot to answer for too) Many Dubliners have stopped going to temple Bar instead staying outside of the centre of town. The other place that can get a little ropey would be around Christchurch- which is unfortunate as Jurys Inn is situated there.
All in all, however, Dublin is ok for women. You have to be sensible and try to avoid straying into dodgy looking areas which are badly lit. I have only ever had the usual hassle- i.e drunks coming up to me, feeling amorous! They usually go away if you ignore them!
Have a good stay in Dublin and let me know if you need any other information as I know the city very well..
Best, Kelly