Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to do with your camera if your not carrying a purse?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hola!

My husband and I will be traveling to Spain in September. I've been reading the posts on pickpocketing, so I want to be extra careful. When we travel, I usually carry my camera in a small back nylon purse. However, I don't want to carry a purse especially in Barcelona and Madrid. What does everyone do with their camera so they don't look like a tourist? I refuse to hang it around my neck.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:13 PM

make your husband carry it.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM

How will you carry your wallet and other necessities you usually carry in your purse?

I carry a purse that I can wear over my body and put my camera in it, in a zippered pocket close to my body.

I've been to Barcelona and did not have a problem with pickpockets. If you stay aware of your surroundings and show street smarts, you should be fine with a purse.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:39 PM
ira

Hi D,

If you have a camera, you are a tourist.

Carry it in a camera case across your chest.

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:41 PM

ugh, don't do that, only a guy would suggest that (across your chest, really).

I don't even have a digital one, but a small Olympus and just carry it in my pocket or purse. I do always carry a purse, though -- or else some other kind of tote.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
To repeat with elaboration what I said in your other post of the same name (with apologies to Christina and others who consider this a terrible fashion faux pas):

My camera is much too large to fit in my pocket, so I carry it around my neck. I don't feel like taking it in and out of a bag all day.

Since I am a tourist, I really don't care that I look like one. It's how you act that counts.

We are still allowed in all major countries (except Albania), even after doing this for years.

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Years ago, I used to carry a larger purse. By the end of each day, I ended up with sore shoulders. Everything, it seemed, got thrown into the large purse: souvenirs, pamphlets, umbrellas, maps, camera, etc.

Then I got smart. My purse is now very small, only my own personal necessities. DH carries his own "stuff", as it should be, lol!

Both my DH and myself love to take photos, and we each have a camera. My digital camera is not purse size. It has a large body and lens (sort of like the old 35mm). DH has the same style camera. Beautiful photos, low light capability, great zoom, etc.

Both are carried around our necks. Haven't been banned or kicked out of anywhere...yet!

Is there something wrong with looking like a tourist? Just curious.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM

In so many posts I see sentences similar to "I don't want to look like a tourist".

Who cares if you do!!!!!

Just the look on your face when you get to a new place is a dead giveaway that you're a tourist. I live in L.A. and see tourists every single day. No matter where you live... no matter where you go... there are tourists. If you ever see someone in another country giving you a dirty look because you're a tourist... just remember, at some point they have been one (and will be one) themselves!

Keep your possessions safe. Wear comfortable walking shoes. Wear comfortable clothes. Just enjoy whatever country you're in and forget about it!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 02:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Just last week in Old Town Pasadena, within minutes, I took pictures of two couples (both from Europe), and each guy had the dreaded digital camera around his neck before asking me to take a picture of the two of them.

From all my trips to foreign lands and from all the tourists who have visited here, I don't remember anyone having disdain for my camera carrying habits and vice-versa.

Enjoy the Journey (even with a camera around your neck)! Attitude is Everything!

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I carry a purse and put the camera in it along with other things I need for the day. I can't get by without one.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 04:12 PM

I have a theory about using the same pocketbook I do at home for traveling... that it is a good idea because I am used to it. I don't like to reinvent the wheel for a trip. And I've yet to lose or misplace my normal bag (or have it stolen).
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 02:25 PM

Oh, this reminds me... in the wine country of California, with Paula1470 we'd witnessed another woman put her purse on the ground, took her camera out, snapped, and... walked off! And the purse was left sitting there by the trail! (Paula stopped her)
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:52 PM

If you don't have a pocket or something, you will end up leaving it at the London train station before hopping a train to Paris
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 05:38 PM
blh

How large is the camera? Our small digital fits in a little case with a belt loop on the backside which my husband wears on his belt. It doesn't look much bigger than a cell phone. I think we bought the case at Best Buy. It is very handy - he can remove it with ease and doesn't mind wearing it. And since it's on his belt, it isn't likely to get left anywhere. We have been with friends who have left cameras in restaurants, etc. I suppose it could be cut off his belt, but it would be very difficult as tight as it fits. And it does look nicer than hanging around the neck.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 07:44 PM

As with the previous poster, I carry my medium-sized digital camera in a bag with a sewn on strap (not just a velcro one) that I then pass my belt through. I carry the camera in the front where I can easily pull it out for photos. I carry everything else in a money belt, except for coins, a chapstick and a tiny hairbrush in my pockets. Having your hands free takes some getting used to, but I've come to enjoy it.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 08:52 PM

I believe that frequently when people say "I don't want to look like a tourist" they are concerned with looking like a target.

If you are at tourist sites, you will be taken at least by some to be a tourist.

As for the camer: Rule of physics, if you don't carry your camera in plain sight, it has to go inside something: pocket, camera bag, purse ... shopping bag? Believe it or not, that's something I use at home in NY if I'm not taking much along. Toss in the morning paper, a bottle of water and other things you don't expect to bring home. If it's from a supermarket or drug store, so much the better. You'll look like a local and no one will be so interested in stealing it.

Now, what are you going to do about that tourist husband of yours?!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:59 AM

But the locals (women) carry purses -- so you'll look like a tourist if you don't carry one. And you'll look like a tourist when you start using the camera.

So, leave the camera at home, and carry an empty purse. Problem solved.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:56 AM

I never understand the logic. Women in Europe carry purses.

If you are worried use a disposable camera and stick it in your pocket. Seriously, I haven't traveled with a "real" camera in years.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:13 AM

<<So, leave the camera at home, and carry an empty purse. >>

Funny and yet practical.

Just watche The Bourne Identity the other night and was alarmed to see Jason Bourne running from his pursuers with his red shoulder-duffle filled with cash and various fake passports just tossed over one arm, rather than over his head, so the strap would be secure across his chest. Sure enough, he dropped the darn thing as he climbed the side of a building - oops.

In his case it was a plot device (still thought it was lame - anyone that smart out on a ledge four stories up would be more careful.) But the lesson is learned: make your bag a secure one - in your everyday life, as well. You can look quite like any student, professor or other working person anywhere you go.

I think Suze has a point: the bag you are used to using is one you'll feel comfortable with. You "feel it" when it's not there, you get into and out of it naturally, you know how to hold it. Like a pair of shoes, if you want a new bag on your trip, break it in at home first.

Maybe it's another point in favor of travel off-season: if it's cool enough for a jacket or coat, you have all the pockets you need.