Reload this Page >

what to do new years eve in paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 08:34 AM
tom maund

four(4) active seniors are spending new years eve in paris for the FIRST time and we could use some help.we are party amimals and enjoy <BR>dancing and good food. we are new york city types! <BR>our plans are to stay in the 6 arr at the champ de mars or the effel hotels. <BR>any ideas would be greatly appreciated. <BR>thanks, <BR>tom

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Christina

Well, I like your style -- if it were me, I'd go to L'Arbuci in St-Germain, a cafe/jazz spot; last year they had two live jazz trios for NYeve plus champagne included in their price (which isn't cheap, about $125 per person, but no good places are cheap that night). You must have reservations way ahead at these places for that night. Their URL is www.arbuci.com Other idea, Tour Montparnasse top floor. Here's a good Parisian newsletter article on the general scheme of things that night with some suggestions: <BR>http://www.metropoleparis.com/2000/552/552scen2.html <BR> <BR>BTW, I'm sure you know that kind of activity can get rowdy on the streets in many cities (partying and drinking, espec with glass around) and Paris is no exception.

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merci Christina.
Now we are learning French besides attempting to create a plan. We certainly dont want to sit&quot;alone in our room&quot;, playing poker we want to go and &quot;hear the music play.&quot; You are right of course, we dont want to be crushed at the Eiffel Tower.Perhaps there is an advantage point for viewing that someone else knows? Also is there a parade every new years day?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 09:11 PM

The tourists go to the Champs Elysees on New Year's Eve. Locals don't. It's a huge crush of people, very chaotic, and sometimes dangerous.

There is no parade as far as I know.

Perhaps another city would be better for NYE.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 03:02 AM

I am a local and I agree with Francophile. Do not imagine a NYC New Years eve. Much like Christmas is a family affair in France, NY's eve is usually spent at home with friends around a big dinner.

Paris catering places, music halls, etc have a tradition of overpriced) &quot;reveillons&quot;, i.e big dinners with foie gras, oysters champagne and the like, but it is mostly targeted at French and foreign tourists. There are no fireworks.

Indeed, the crowds which gather on the Champs Elys&eacute;es around midnight can include agressive elements. I personally never go there on that night.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 05:52 AM

Hang out in the Latin Quarter.

Ages ago we:

1. Went to an organ concert at St. Germaine de Pres

2. Ate dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant in the Latin Quarter - at midnight, the waiters came around and kissed the girls

3. Emerged from the restaurant to a scene of wild party havoc. Guys were diving into the skylights of ladies' cars to kiss them, etc.

4. After walking around, we ended up sitting at a sidewalk cafe in the Latin quarter until 4 am, just watching the &quot;show.&quot;