Search

Paris, New Year's Eve

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris, New Year's Eve

Hello, all --

We'll be there with our 3 girls aged 14, 12 and 6. Have lots planned for the trip but still trying to figure out what to do NYE.

We had hoped there might be fireworks, but so far have been unable to learn of any, sooo...can you suggest someplace fun/something to do?

We'll eat in our apt., so not concerned with dinner reservations, and I've read (on here, bien sur!) that it's probably wise to avoid Champs d'Elysee, as the crowds can get out of hand. That's not my favorite place in town, anyway. But we do want to be around people and bring in the New Year in a festive but safe manner.

What do you think? Trocadero or Champs de Mars? Pont des Arts or one of the other bridges? Somewhere in the 5th, maybe?
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 07:02 PM

My hotel told me that the Eiffel Tower fireworks can be seen from Pont Neuf.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 07:43 PM

CHAMPS ELYSEES IS THE PLACE TO BE AT NEWYEARS EVE DUDE ... DONT GO ANYWHERE ELSE

Take a map from PLACE de la CONCORDE
to ARC de TRIOMPH You will be able to run over the heads! CHAMPAGNE Everywhere

It is safe, don't be worried, keep the kids close, because of the crowd, trouble only starts after 3 4 5 o clock in the morning.

More trouble you will have in the district of Moulin Rouge, Folies Bergeres and stuff. Don't go THERE ! I advice you, there you will have trouble

Champs Elysees is normal people.
I wouldn't go to tour Eifel

BTW You can go ICE SKATING ON TOUR EIFEL now-a-days at the first floor!

THE ICE HAS A VANILLA FLAVOUR (must be great for the kids!)

You could ofcourse also go NEAR ILE DE FRANCE , don't know, at the bridges like you mentioned, but don't take the old quartier, go to the other side of the bridge (lots of tourists, lots of restaurants, but you had already eaten, anyway lotz of animo in the air.

Fireworks, don't bother, fireworks all over France.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 07:58 PM

To all:
I'm going to Paris this Sunday will spend New Year's Eve there. I've heard that I should avoid Champs d'Elysee since I am 77 years old and might get trampled by the young crowd.
I'm a new yorker and in the past, at a younger age, I did hit times square on new year's eve and it was a real experience.
Should I try it on d'Elysee...I am a member of the Aviation Club and they might have a New Year's Party.
Again, thanks for the tips
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:38 PM

I was told not to venture onto the Champs Elysees on NYE and this warning came from a couple of Parisian acquaintances. Regardless of the time period that all the trouble begins, I would not take the chance of going. Besides that I have heard how nonexistant taxis are when you need them after the celebrations finish. And the metro gets really crowded.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies.

francophile03,do you know for sure that there will be fireworks? That would be great.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I'm sure we'll have fun wherever we are!
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 05:08 AM

For this year's NYE, I don't know if there will be fireworks for sure. I would like to know too. The Eiffel Tower website doesn't mention it. At least I couldn't find any info. there unless I missed it.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 05:11 AM

I know that this topic has been covered on other threads in the last few months. I had made the same inquiry last year at this time, as we took our 8 and 13 year olds to Paris for New Year's. One Fodorite suggested then that we consider climbing Monmartre to get the best view of the lighting up of the Eiffel Tower, which commences around 5:00 or 6:00PM and repeats its dazzling display every hour on the hour through midnight. We took that tip and found that it was crowded there but fine. Since you have already opted to eat in, you've taken care of the main task, as dinner reservations are really necessary. We strolled out a short distance to the Pont Neuf to take in the festivities at midnight. The crowds were well-behaved. People had chosen to set off some of their own fireworks on either side of the Seine, and we had a reasonable view of the Eiffel Tower from that vantage point. We weren't near any major fireworks, and I don't know where one need to be best situated to take them in. A big focus of New Year's in Paris seemed to be touring the City of Light at night, and so one could take a bus tour or perhaps a bateau mouches type tour to take in the lights at night.

Have fun and be sure to dress warmly!
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 11:56 AM

FAMOUSUNCLEART, I think a man of 77 might not want to be roaming the streets on NYE. I am sure you would hate to have your children worrying where you are off roaming to right Dad ooops Art!