What to do in the Marais area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be getting into Paris after a long overnight flight and staying in the Maris area.
Any suggestions as to what to do close around that first day. Am staying near the St. Paul Metro stop. Usually I like to have a easy day because I usually crash about 6:00 at night. I'm looking for shopping, resturants, fun things - I'd love some good advice. Will leave the museums, etc. for the next several days.
Thanks a bunch.
Sue
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 05:33 PM

Sue - You could check out paris-walks.com. They have a couple of Marais walks if the timing is right for you. I did that once when I stayed in that area on my arrival day. Have fun,
Mara
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 05:34 PM

You'll be in the midst of an active and attractive neighborhood with plenty of shops, restaurants, etc. within easy walking distance. The St. Paul Metro stop is right on Rue de Rivoli and it's an easy walk to either Notre Dame and Ile St. Louis or to Place des Vosges and the Bastille area. You won't need a plan to enjoy yourself; just explore a little and get your bearings that first day. You'll love it!
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 06:01 PM

Also, search here for a thread by Degas about "Marais walk"... he has been compiling all the notable places by areas for an upcoming trip...
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 07:27 PM

If you're jet lagged, just find the Place des Vosges and sit and people watch. There is a cute sign that says the grass is "resting for the winter" so the little French children can't play on it (nor can you walk on it), but there are kids and parents all over the place (off the grass) and it's really fun to people watch. You could even visit the Victor Hugo House on the Place. It doesn't take long to go through it.

The walk over would feel great after a long plane trip. There are a couple nice restaurants on the Place so you could eat right there and then go back for some sleep.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 03:58 AM
Degas

Lots of info in this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34454657

Old Dec 8th, 2003, 05:10 AM

There is an excellent book by Gilles Desmons "Walking Paris-30 Paris Walks" or something like that. It is well worth the money & we have done several. I am not @ home right now but I believe there are several in the Marais. However, if I were you, I would just wander, there are few places better to do so.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 05:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Have lunch a Joe Goldenberg's deli.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 05:21 AM

The Marais is one of my all-time favorite places in Paris. Its history is incredibly rich. Be sure to read up on it and explore. You will have a ball!
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 11:15 AM

Normally, I am a detail-oriented planner, but the Marais is a great place to wander without any specific agenda. Lots of small restaurants and pastry shops. It's a neighborhood that is full of pleasant surprises.

This is not a region of Paris where you might feel that you have to check the "been there done that" boxes. The Place des Vosges is a worthwhile objective. I'm not sure if the Hotel de Ville is technically in the Marais or not, but it is nearby. If you like French department stores, a large BHV is across the street from the Hotel de Ville. Forget the Tour Jacques, it is completely covered with netting and scaffolding. Beyond that I wouldn't overthink the time spent in the Marais.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 12:02 PM

As a matter of fact, the Marais I and Marais II walks both leave from the St. Paul Metro. They're highly interesting, I think, and Iris, who did both walks when I was there, is truly enjoyable, informed, friendly, and I'd love to see her again! At least one of them ends at the Place des Vosges (maybe both), and that is indeed a very lovely relaxing place to sit and people-watch. The Marais I is on Tuesdays at 10:30am and Marais II is on Thursdays at 2:30pm and Sundays at 2:30pm. That's the normal schedule, but it is, of course, subject to change.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 04:26 PM

It would be hard to have a bad time in the Marais, even after a long flight...
Shopping:
The French version of Target- MONOPRIX, 88 rue de Rivoli
PRINTEMPS DESIGN at the Pompidou Centre
STOCK GRIFFES ( if it's still there) 17 rue Vielle de Temple for decent prices on French designer clothing
also any of the incredible young designer owned jewelry stores on rue Francois Bourgeois, which runs straight off the Place des Vosges.
RESTAURANTS:
We loved COMPTOIR PARIS MARRAKECH- combination casbah and bar, 37 rue Berger
also:
LES FERNANDISES- 17-19 rue de la Fontaine au Roi, excellent bistro food with Normandy flavor ( the owner's from there).
Also, must second the recommendation for RESTAURANT GOLDBERG on rue des Rosiers. It's packed and the music is LOUD, but great people-watching and atmosphere.

You can't go wrong walking around Places des Vosges, as other posters have recommended. Stalls lining the square sell everything from art prints to quirky jewelry and hats. There's usually live music of some sort ranging from classical to rock, and the cafes and galleries are a convivial cure for jet lag!

Have a great time!
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:53 PM

there is a thread out there on eating out that I started a couple of months ago - good recommendations.