Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Aol members and problems posting on fodors...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all,

I know we talked about this before, but I am still having problems posting a reply within my AOL browser. When I try to post a reply and type my reply, then click on the "post my message" icon, it returns me back to the forum message page and simply loses my reply.

It does not do this when I post the same in my IE Browser.

My point is that this is still happening and I am wondering has any other fodors members reported this to AOL and if so, have you received any official response on what they are doing about it? Or if we need to reset something in our aol browser?

I have reported this 3 times now to a live chat help and all I get is we will send a report to a technical department. Tonight I made the chat person give me a reference number and email and a promise to respond within 48 hours.

have any other aol members officially reported this and have you gotten any response back?

erinb
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 05:24 PM

I'm having the same problem, but haven't reported it, but I will. I wonder if anyone not on AOL has had this problem.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 05:28 PM

I got that last reply thru, and was using the AOL browser, not the Internet Explorer. One never knows!
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 05:30 PM
cmt

I do not have AOL. I have a cable ISP at home. But sometimes strange things happen and I cannot post or read or use some website in a normal way. Some examples of current peculiarities in the functioning of my home computer: 1. when I click on a link or try to open a box, instead of getting a full screen, I see the page or box as a narrow bar, which I then need to open further, and 2. my Yahoo messenger is not giving me audible notice arriving e-mails. Other times, I've had problems posting on ther Aboutcom and Delphi forums, or the Fodors page wouldn't load completely. These problems come and go. I usually use Internet Explorer, but a few times I had to use Netscape, when the problems seem to be occurring only on Explorer. Since these problems did not occur at work, I know they had something to do with my home computer or my version of Windows or my cable ISP. My non-techie explanation is that it was a temporary incompatibility between my ISP and certain websites. At home, I am not having the Fodors problem you describe at all. However, about two or three weeks ago, I had that problem with Fodors for a day or two at work, where we do not have AOL and where I use Internet Explorer. I don't post too often from work, so I can't say whether the probglem would have lasted all day long if I'd been persistent, but I do remember that I could read, but not post, and I could not stay logged in. Then, magically, it got all better.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 07:11 PM

I had problems posting and searching for almost two months(I use AOL). Briefly, the problem seemed solved if I logged in every time. But in the last two days, I get the same old problems. Sooo tired of this!
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 07:32 PM

Hi,

I have the same problem when using AOL. Right now I'm using IE. Could you tell me how do you report this to AOL? To whom do you address the problem? Thanks
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 10:48 PM

I've got AOL too. I've not bothered to contact AOL. We had a problem with something else and each tech. gave differing opinions and none could solve the problem.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:27 AM

My troubles began after I installed AOL 9.0. There were many emails between someone at Fodors & me to correct it. But we did. I tossed the emails, but it had to do with cookies. Try [email protected] for technical q's.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 06:02 AM

I haven't been able to post on this board from the AOL browser for about a week now. Briefly, before that, there was a period of about a week when I could, and before that a period of about three weeks when I couldn't. I just use IE now and don't bother with AOL.

I won't bother reporting it to AOL. In my experience with AOL tech support, they'll just claim it's not their fault and there's nothing they can do about it - and I'll have wasted an hour or more listening to AOL telephone menus.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 07:47 AM

I reported the problem to the Fodor's editor and they replied that I need to periodically get rid of my cookies. I now use my IE instead.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 08:54 AM

I am with StCirq on this one, I guess. I haven't reported it because my experience with AOL Tech support is they don't know anything and don't care and always claim it's your fault. I've tried to get them recently to fix their spam filter which wasn't working (to block email by your own list of words) -- and they knew about it and didn't fix it and some tech support (I went through 4-5) claimed they didn't even know about it whereas other tech support said their was a systemwide notice on this problem.

I use try to remember to sign on with my outside MSIE browser when on AOL and have no problem. I don't have AOL 9.0 so that isn't the problem and I don't think it has anything to do with cookies.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 08:58 AM

hmmm. I wonder if those who said it was cookies meant they had a general problem, or AOL problem, because I don't understand that solution (delete cookies) and don't want to spend my time doing that. As I said, this is only an AOL browser problem, I have no problem with other ISPs or browser and I have plenty of cookies on them. It's easier to use the MSIE browser on AOL than spend time deleting cookies, but cookies are useful because they mean you don't have to relog in to sites you use a lot.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 09:08 AM

Aol="Training wheels for the internet."
Why don't you go broadband and see how much fun the internet can be?
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 05:06 PM

I still don't understand why anyone spends all that money for AOL. It doesn't give anything that free sites like yahoo and msn.com don't provide. You can get an ISP for as little as $10 a month, or for a few more bucks than AOL dial up get DSL or cable modem hookup. Then use yahoo or msn.com or altavista or whatever free site as your startup page.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 05:13 PM

Forget AOL. It tries to interfere with your browsing and creates all sorts of problems. Abandon it entirely. You'll be happier and more successful when you browse