I am SO SICK of posting problems

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been going on for weeks. In previous threads it appears the problem is with AOL not Fodors. It was bad enough when you had to press reload then retry-but eventually got your message posted. For the last week or so, a new problem-you press post & the message just disappears into thin air!

I'd love to hear from anyone who's NOT on AOL but having problems. Also wondering if all us AOL people should move en mass to another server. Suggestions for dial up, easy server?
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 07:20 AM

I'm on AOL and have no trouble getting messages posted - they turn up right away. What version are you using? Do you need an update?
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 07:31 AM

I find the problem you are describing to be independent of ISP (e.g. AOL), but instead to be browser related; for example Internet Explorer shows this kind of problem with me while Netscape does not and works better. Others here have previously suggested doing a "cache clean up" to avoid the problem, but I don't recall the specifics on how to do it
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 07:32 AM

Mclaurie, I used to be on AOL and had lots of problems here. But I'm now on Earthlink DSL and never seem to have any problems at all. But during my month in New York I set up one of those free accounts with AOL and posting here became a nightmare again.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 07:35 AM

I have had problems posting for quite a while.
It seems to be when logged in to my work server... as soon as I log into my personal isp the problem is gone.
I use the same computer and Internet Explorer on both connections... so in my case it appears to be related to where I am connected, though NOT related to HOW I am connected.
It is very frustrating though...
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 07:55 AM

We used to have AOL, but switched due to problems - not the particular problem you are having though. We have SBC Yahoo DSL and are happy.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 10:50 AM

I'm in the same boat and AOL has never entered into it. I have not changed or updated my browser or OS but about two weeks ago was suddenly unable to post from work but posting from home works just fine (on dial up).

I emailed Fodors about it but got two separate non-answers. I'm active in several other discussion forums and the problem is limited to Fodor's.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 10:53 AM

This ost (the previous one) finally worked, apparently due to removing my cache files. To do this go to Tools on the browser toolbar menu, choose Internet Options and then from the center of the dialogue box look for the section called "Temporary Internet Files". Choose "Delete Files" be sure to check the box that says "include offline content" then click OK. If your cache is as loaded as mine it may take about five minutes to clear but then things appear to be okay with Fodor's (at least for awhile).
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 12:20 PM

To avoid the posting problem with AOL, log onto this site with the simpler
fodors.com
rather than
www.fodors.com
I don't know why, but it will eliminate your non-posting problems

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. Yes, I should update my version of AOL. My problem is my computer's old & I've got limited memory-not enough to download a new version without first uninstalling old version. Because of this memory problem, I do constantly delete temporary internet files. And yes, if I have a big problem posting, I re-enter the Fodors website from Fodors.com home page.

However, I'm convinced it's an AOL or possibly Fodors or AOL/Fodors problem because I have had the same problem on 2 different computers in 2 different cities. The only common points between the 2 experiences were AOL dial up (2 different versions) & my screen name. If I attempt to post from a "mclaurie" forum (ie click my screen name for previous threads) the post just disappears. Otherwise, I have to click "reload" & then retry in order to post.

Any more thoughts, particularly about internet servers.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Just a humorous addendum, that last post went through with no problem-the first time in days. Just shows to go ya.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 03:14 PM

I have had horrible problems posting today. I tried to reply to another thread about 20 times before giving up.
I have never been on AOL.
I'll be surprised if this makes it...
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 03:15 PM

OMG!!! I took the www out of the url and it actually worked... at least for now!
Yippee!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 05:37 PM
cd

I have AOL. After cleaning my cookies and rebooting, I have never had a problem.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 06:57 PM

I don't have AOL. After clearing my cache and posting the two replies that show in this thread.... I tried to respond to a different thread and I'm right back to the same problem. I gave Fodors all the info they requested about my browser version etc but still no reply and the problem remains when I post from work (yet I can post at home on dial up with no problem).
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 08:01 PM

Try removing the www ... it seems to have helped my problem.
Never know!
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 03:45 AM

Many thanks to OwenONeill, =D> your cache clean up protocol works for me.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:22 AM

Removing cookies worked for me. Note that this also removes all your stored log-ins and saved passwords for your favorite websites.

In the alternative, with AOL, just launch Internet Explorer and go to Fodors. No problems posting messages.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:55 AM

I have same problem I can not post NEW messages (it never completes - I have let is sit for hours and never finishes) BUT I can post replies as is obvious. Go figure. Pretty much sucks.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

OK, I'll show my stupidity. Is a cookie the same as my list of "favorite places" on AOL? If not,how do I remove cookies?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -