Paris Areas - Les Invalides / Eiffel Tower vs St Germain-des-Pret

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Trying to compare the area near Metro Ecole Militaire (7th) vs St Germain the area around Metro Saint-Germain-des_Pret (6th).

The former appears to be a quieter more residential area and the latter more alive and noisy (not a bad thing).

Am I reading this correctly?
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have stayed several times near the (somewhat infamous) Rue Cler in the 7th. Quiet, residential but with lots of Rick Steves tourists - its fine with me. I like to sit at a cafe on the Rue Cler in the morning and watch the residents shopping, taking kids to school, meeting for coffee. We have a number of restaurants in the area we like. My impression is the 6th is busier. We've been out in the 7th around 10 pm and there's little going on - the area does have decent access via the Metro to other areas - just depends on what you are looking for!
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 11:54 AM

It is St. Germain des Pres.

St. Germain des Pres area is very chic. Lots of high-end shops (Louis Vuitton, Jerome Dreyfuss, Yves. St. Laurent) and flashy cafes like Deux Magots and Flore.

I, personally, love this busy area, especially the area around St. Sulpice and the Luxembourg Gardens.

I really don't care for the area around the Champ de Mars. I think it lacks charm. The streets in this area VERY WIDE, like Ave Bosquet. Many of the streets in the 6th are tiny alleyways and you get a feeling of intimacy whilst walking here. You almost "fall" into the shops near Rue Lobineau. (I would love to fall into Gerard Mulot!)

If I were going to Paris for the first time, I would either stay in the 6th or around the Place des Voges.

Thin, whose grandparents lived on Avenue Kleber for over 30 years.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Myer, I think so, in general. Hubs and I stayed in the Montparnasse area and enjoyed not having to walk so very far to most things.

We loved Rue du Cherche Midi. If you google the following, several hotels pop up:

hotel on rue du cherche midi

Our hotel appears to have been renamed La Belle Juliette. It was in need of rehab when we were there so I can't say how it is now. But, it's a great local area within easy walk to Montparnasse, Grand Magasin and Ave. Raspail and the restos mentioned above.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 12:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
For somebody like me, choosing between those two areas brings to mind the French expression "having to choose between the plague and cholera."

I prefer the working class and petit bourgeois neighborhoods.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

If I was one of those people who went to Paris 3 times a year and considered my self a Parisian, I might pick a different area.

I'm amused when people want advice about a destination but don't want it to be "touristy".

We've been to Paris three times over the years and we've spread ourselves among many other destinations.

I consider myself a tourist. I have no problem being a tourist among tourists.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM

Of those two areas I would choose St Germain des Pres.....better transportation options.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Myer - where are you coming from [not figuratively, literally I mean where are you travelling from?] and what do you want to see while you are there?

for me, good access to the RER B is pretty important if not essential as we will catch the RER from CDG and hope to have tickets for the France v England rugby match at Stade de France, also on RER B. but you might just as easily want to be towards the west of the centre because of your interests or transport options.

just something to consider.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 01:15 PM

There are touristy areas, and then there are areas that I call "tacky/touristy".

We hate the tacky/touristy region in the 5th/Latin Quarter around R de la Harpe/Pl St Michel. We "passed through" there this year, and I would never want to stay in that area again - trinket shops, fast food, cheap eats - not what I want to experience in Paris.

However, the St Germain des Pres area not far away is quite different. Much more "classy", although there are a lot of tourists there.

I usually suggest that first-time visitors do what we did - stay in the St Germain des Pres area on your first few visits (close to the major sites), then move to the Marais, then to the 7th/15th/Montparnasse into quieter/more residential areas. Also, as we've gotten older we value "quiet" more and don't want the noise/crowds that are in the Marais or areas of the 5th/6th. We stayed in the 1st once & didn't enjoy it, and I try to avoid the Les Halles & R de Rivoli as much as possible.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

annhig,

We'll be coming from Avignon on the TGV so we'll arrive at Gare Lyon. I guess a taxi from there.

We'll end up flying home from CDG after 3 days in Paris.

We've been to Paris before. We've stayed in the Opera district and enjoyed it and we've stayed near Procope (ate there over 40 years ago) and enjoyed that as well.

Other than the usual wandering around my wife mentioned going to Giverny.

On our last trip we went to Place des Vosges and stop in to an art gallery. The owner gave us a poster that my wife framed and has hanging in the house. We may want to stop by that area.

On our first trip (about 40 years ago) we were walking around Saint-Germain and my wife went into a little store. After making her purchase she asked the two old men who ran the store to come outside for a photo.

On our last trip a little over 10 years ago we stopped at the same store. There was a young girl running the store who told us her mother had bought the store for her seven years earlier from two old men.

I imagine the old men aren't around anymore but it will be interesting to stop by the store.

Many stories over the years.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 01:26 PM

I think people say those things about them (your initial capsule), but it really depends where you are in these arrondisements. There are quiet residential areas in St Germain, also, these areas are really big, you know (an entire arrondisement).

So it depends where one is, but if you are choosing a hotel, you are going to be near the main streets of St Germain, pretty much. Although I stayed in the Hotel St Thomas d'Acquin once and that is not in a hectic area at all, it is more a quiet residential street (relatively, I think there was a school nearby that wasn't always quiet, of course). If you are considering a hotel right near metro St Germain des Pres, that is a tad more lively and noisy than the other one, but not really that much. Because being right near a metro stop is never that quiet. And there are some blocks right near the Ecole Militaire that have restaurants and shops on them, also, there are just aren't as many right near that metro stop (rue Cler is nearby with lots of shops) as in St Germain. No Armani shop near the Ecole Militaire stop, for example, and not as many tourists go to sit in a cafe right there. So it is less hectic, I'd say.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 01:37 PM

I have stayed in both areas and like them both for different reasons as they each have their charms. The St. Germain des Pres area is livelier with great shops and restaurants but the 7th is pleasant to return to after a long day and also has great restaurants.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 04:18 PM

Love St Germain des Pres...have stayed in that area twice; great boutiques, close to sites and great cafes. Would be happy to stay in the area any trip, especially close to the Odeon Metro stop.

Am trying out the 7th and an apartment this trip. I think it will feel more residential and I am looking forward to it. Agree with StuDudley on the tacky/touristy comment!!

In the end, it is Paris and I think I will always feel lucky to be there no matter where I stay.
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 09:38 AM

Just saw your disease comparison, kerouac. You have such a way with words!! I know these areas are your nightmare. Keep posting your reasons and photos to venture out of them!
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 09:59 AM

First trip - another vote for Saint Germain des Pres.

Seasoned Paris visitor - Ecole Militaire since its close to a major bus hub.
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Well, it's definitely not our first trip and we're not seasoned Paris visitors.

We've been to Paris three times over the years. The first time in the late 1970's and the last a little over 10 years ago.
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 03:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
mmm - i think i'd therefore go for the st. germain option, as you are probably going to be spending more time walking around the centre and using the metro than using buses.
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 07:06 AM

Both areas are "alive", but I'm with Annhig, Myer. As a family of Paris lovers, we may have "moved in" to the 7th, more or less, but that's after over a dozen trips to Paris where we now just mosey on over to wherever, whenever. I'm voting that between the two, a nice hotel in St. Germain is what you would like the best.

As you've gathered by your map, your transportation options the area is very Seine-oriented, part of the biggest charm of Paris. In our early trips when we stayed either there or on Ile de St. Louis, I began and ended each day with a walk on either side of Ile de la Cite/Ile de St. Louis, yet had access within minutes to a myriad of Metro, RER, and bus stops. I could get anywhere with ease.

You don't have to stay in the middle of St. Germain tourist traffic--lots of quiet sidestreets, as Christine noted. I am a total NON shopper, so I don't need Armani access.

But I have to give full disclosure--my favorite part of the 7th now is watching moms as they pick up the kids after school and head straight for a favorite bakery.

Sidenote: I loved staying in the Marais. Like St Germain, great access to the Seine and great Metro/RER access, but has nice unique identity. If you are a shopper, Sunday shopping is superb there (or so my family shoppers tell me).
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 07:41 AM

>>Marais. If you are a shopper, Sunday shopping is superb there (or so my family shoppers tell me)<<

And also very crowded. We now avoid that area on Sundays.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We're staying in St Germain so that's settled.

Now I hve to get back to spending some time planning a trip to Glacier National Park.

Just too many places to go and not enough time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -