Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to do in Paris on Sunday in mid January

Jan 8th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

In 4 days I'm leaving for a quick trip to Paris & want to make every minute count. Please recommend activities for a Sunday (1/15). I know most stores close on Sunday but would love to know ones that are open. Thanks.
Jan 8th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Have brunch at the Musée Jacquemart-André, then take a walk through the Park Monceau.
Jan 8th, 2006, 11:46 AM

I will also be in Paris next Sunday and my current plans are:

A return visit to the Memorial de la Shoah Museum 17, rue Geoffroy l'Asnier www.memorialdelashoah.org open 10-18. It is just excellent. We could not see all there was there when we first went last March. Free admission

Walk through the Marais

Musee Marmottan another excellent museum. It will also be a return visit for us.

Notre Dame Evensong at 5:30 pm I think

Ice Skating on the first level of the Eiffel Tower in the evening. I won't be very good at it, but don't want to miss the opportunity to try!

Paris-walks.com also lists the Marais Circuit II walk Sunday afternoon. We won't have time for it, but we have taken several of their walks in the past. They are always excellent.

The markets at Clignancourt at the end of Metro line 4 are excellent. Good markets on Rue des Rosiers there.

Also the Bercy Village Shops are open on Metro line 14, Cour St. Emilion stop.

Have fun!
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:09 PM

I would visit my favorite Parisian museum: Nissim de Camondo in the morning. Then have a nice brunch, and after that join the rest of the Parisians shopping in Le Marais. Maybe an early evening concert in a church before going back home for changing before diner.
Jan 8th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Parc Monceau, the Nissim de Camondo and then the Jaquemart Andre.
Jan 8th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Take a walk along the Seine and head to the Pont St. Louis where there are street musicians. The atmosphere is very nice. Afterwards, cross the bridge to the Ile St. Louis.
Jan 8th, 2006, 03:50 PM
cbleigh

The favourite think I like to do on Sunday is stroll in the Marais. Since it's the Jewish neighbourhood, it is quite on Saturday, but hopping on Sunday. Everyone is out and bustling around. There are cafes to stop at, museums to view, and many shops and boutiques while the rest of Paris shops are closed.

Pick up a guide book with walks in it and absorb the history of the 4th as you stroll.

Jan 8th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Several street markets are open Sundays, including the market street of rue Mouffetard and the roving market at Place Monge, near each other in the Latin Quarter. Other markets and hours can be found at the following site:

http://tinyurl.com/dt39t

There is an art and craft market in Montparnasse along the boulevard Edgar Quinet.

There are flea markets at Porte de Vanves and Clignancourt. If you go to the latter, make sure you walk all the way to the rue des Rosiers and turn left. After exiting the metro, you pass a large number of vendors of clothing and so on; that's not the real flea market, keep on walking past the Peripherique to get to the rue des Rosiers, where there are entrances to the several large markets selling antiques and collectibles.

As several posters have already mentioned, stores in the Marais are open Sundays, and the neighborhood is hopping. Several museums in that neighborhood as well.
Jan 8th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips --I'll need several Sundays to accomplish it all. so much is outdoors, I hope it doesn't rain (too hard).