Paris Hotel comparisons, too

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to comments here and on other sites, looks like for around the same price we can stay in Abbatial, Sully St.Germmain, or for a tiny bit more, Jardin de l'Odeon all in Latin Quarter.

Any misgivings/recommendations from personal experience about any of them?

Thanks in advance for what is always well appreciated advice!

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to add the B.W Villa des Artistes.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 07:50 AM

I have not stayed at these 4 hotels, so will just comment on location. In my personal order of preference:

Jardin de l'Odeon is the best located and is actually in the very desirable Saint germain des Près neighborhood yet still in a quieter area - absolutely worth "a tiny bit more" to be here.

The Abbatial is very central but right on a very busy (noisy?) thoroughfare.

The B.W Villa des Artistes is a <b>little</b> further out but is located a block northeast of the Vavin Metro stop and is an easy walk to Luxembourg Gardens. It's very nice area and my all time favorite bistro is right around the corner: Le Cam&eacute;l&eacute;on, 6 Rue de Chevreuse, Paris 6, tel: 43-20-63-43

Sully St.Germmain -- eh. OK, but still fourth down the list.

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

thanks.. according to websites...sully was my second choice (photos) but that is why it is so difficult!

jardin was my first.
so.. maybe will go with that one!

no one here seems to have stayed there. will just have to trust other sites' comments.

thanks again.

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Jardin de l'Odeon was my first choice as well. I'm booked for an 8 night stay in March. Glad to hear that the reviews on TA and also this forum are positive. When are you travelling? I will post a detailed report on my return.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 03:12 PM
cbleigh

I have stayed at the Sully St. Germain. The hotel itself is very nice. The rooms are larger than most hotels I have stayed at in Paris. The staff was wonderful as well. Since staying there I have stayed at other hotels that were much cheaper, just as nice and in a nicer location.

Yes, the Sully is in the Latin Quarter, but it is on busy Rue des Ecoles. Not a lot of charm when you go out the door. I would recommend you stay in the St. Germain de pres area (6th) over this hotel. I have not stayed at Jardin de l'Odeon but have stayed at Grand Hotel des Balcons between Blvd. St. Germain and the Odeon Opera house. It is on a quiet street just steps from the action on Blvd. St. Germain. This family run hotel ran long on charm but was easy on the pocket book.

Have you given the Marais area a thought to stay in? I've stayed in the Latin Quarter, St. Germain and the Marais. The Marais by far is now my fav area to stay in.