What to do in Arhus

Search

What to do in Arhus

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Arhus

Coming in on a cruise for the day. I am trying to figure out what to do for about 8 hours. Is it worth renting a car and driving to see the country side? Or just stay in town.
Thanks
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 05:56 AM

I have dear friends who live near Aarhus, and so I have spent a great deal of time in that area. I love driving through the countryside, but for just a few hours, you should find plenty to do in the city itself.
One of the most interesting things is a restoration of buildings typical for a city in that area from long, long ago. I believe that it is called Den Gamel By, but I may be wrong.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 12:34 AM

Yes, "Den Gamle By" is definitely worth a visit. Here's a link to their website: http://www.dengamleby.dk/english.htm
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 05:12 AM

Another vote for Den Gamble By. Absolutely fascinating and a good few hours worth.

You might also enjoy a bit of a wander around the town. Odd Statue/fountain spotting became our favourite sideline. We still talk of the 'pissing pigs of Aarhus' 20 years later.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 09:27 AM

Isn't that where the museum is that houses the Bog Man? It was years ago, but I remember that was very interesting.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 04:43 PM

Another vote for Den Gamle By. Also, the town of Aarhus itself is quite charming. It's filled with good-looking students and has a young and energetic vibe. At least that's what we thought when they partied into the wee hours in the cafes and bars outside our window. We enjoyed the town (and the young people) very much.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 11:29 PM

Definately Den Gamle By; old buildings of every kind, street scenes, squares, restaurants, guides in costume.You can easily spend a half day seeing this site.
The old section of town is charming, particularly the section up by the canals. Multiple canal side cafes with out-door seating and a center stage over the water with good entertainment; good jazz when I was there.
The Bog Man, which is interesting, is a good distance from town. I think I would opt for Den Gamle By and a walk around the canal area.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 12:00 AM

I think I once read that Aarhus is derided by the rest of the country (much as second largest cities are everywhere I suppose), so we had better come up with a reasonable list. My modest contribution is that there was (in the early 80s at least) a very pleasant walk with views over the water on the bluff on which the youth hostel stood. I remember a group of us at the hostel watching the televison news delivered by a newsreader leaning casually over the news desk and wearing a business shirt with no tie and sleeves rolled up (we didn't see below the desk - perhaps it was the news in briefs??) - how laid back are these Danes we thought.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:35 AM

Farrermog:

Your Danish newscaster certainly beats the German weathergirls I saw. The young women dressed very casually, including wearing tight tops. Very different from those we usually see in my area of the States, who tend to dress fairly professionally.

We thought the Danes were by far the best-looking people we saw in Europe. And tough! In the cold rain, a wave of 40 or 50 bicyclists arriving at a stop light, waiting for the light, then another wave of 40 or 50, then another. I would have called in "sick."
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM

In addition to den gamle by, I would recommend the Aros art museum. It has a nice collection of Danish art and had nice visiting modern art collections when we last visited. www.aros.dk You can get all around by bus in Aarhus, or can walk. As mentioned, the canal area and walking streets are great for shopping (Danish items, as well as others) and people watching. The beer in Denmark is so good, that was one of my hubby's favorite things-mine too : ) As mentioned above, the outdoor cafes are nice to have a beer and people watch. The large cathedral in the middle of town, the domkirke, is worth visiting. Just down from there is(was, at least) a nice italian restaurant, believe the name was Italia. I love the mix of very old (like the cathedral) and very modern (students from the university certainly do provide a great vibe).