Ardennes WWII sites

Search

Ardennes WWII sites

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ardennes WWII sites

We'll be spending 2 nights near Bastogne. Can anyone give us some insight as to which are the best area museums and sites? Do you think we should look into an organized daytrip given that we have such a short period of time?

It seemed so much more obvious when we toured Normandy. We're having a hard time organizing this so if anyone has been your thoughts would be appreciated.

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 07:42 PM

Hello Squeak

It would be helpful to know which country you are from; there are just so many sites and memorials that you won't want to try to visit all of them.

Some are more geared towards English, American, Canadian or Australian activities.

We visited La Roche en Ardennes, where they have a small musuem telling much of the horrors of that village's experience, and displaying uniforms and other equipment.

You can also see throughout that lower part of Belgium the cement pyramids marking the Battle of the Bulge line, and many of the little villages have memorials and tanks on display.

The Office of Australian War Graves website lists all the memorials dedicated to Australian troups; perhaps whichever country you are from has the same system.

Hope this helps you, cheers, Di
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:13 AM

We will be doing the same thing next year. Why don't you just Google Battle of the Bulge. You will get many ideas that you can choose from. Then it's up to you. I have a feeling once you are there, your problem will be solved.

Curious
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Here's a good source of information on what to see in the area of the Battle of the Bulge:

http://www.criba.be/

There are a couple of museums that you should not miss. In Diekirch, Luxembourg, the National Army Museum has a very good section on the Battle of the Bulge with a number of realistic dioramas.

http://www.nat-military-museum.lu/

In Bastogne, you should certainly see the Bastogne Historical Center and the Mardasson Monument.

http://www.bastognehistoricalcenter.be/

Finally, here's a useful website on WWI and WWII museums and war cemeteries in Belgium. It also includes some links to tour operators in the Bastogne area.

http://www.visitbelgium.com/worldwar.htm#TOBelgium
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 05:56 PM

My husband and I just got back (actually in May) from that area. I strongly 2nd the museum in Diekirch. We spent about 3 hours there and probably could have stayed longer, but time was a factor. The American cemetary just outside Lux City is also worth a visit. We met a lady there who was taking flowers to her father's grave. She had just retired and it was the first time that she had been able to go to Europe. Her father died when she was 10 months old. It was very moving to talk to her.
My husband also read several books on the battle, including "Seven Roads to Hell" by John Eisenhower. We were then able to pull off the road in several spots and reflect on the fighting that had taken place in certain areas using the maps from the book. We spent 3 nights in the area and could easily have stayed 4.
If you have any specific questions, I will be glad to try and answer them.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info--it's greatly appreciated. We're from the USA in case that makes a difference re: the suggestions you'd make.

laverendrye, thank you for the pointers. These were exactly the sites we've been looking at as well. I know DH could spend a week here but I don't think I could handle that long! War overload! I know there's a museum in Luxembourg that has all sorts of war memorabilia and Patton's grave is there as well so we're going to try and squeeze that in.

If anyone else has suggestions, I'd love to hear them as well!
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 09:50 AM

dunc1mom mentions the book "Seven Roads To Hell". It is supposed to be a great book on the Battle of the Bulge. However, the book is by Donald R. Burgett, not John Eisenhower. Eisenhower wrote several books on WWll including a book on the Bulge, but the Seven roads is not one of them.

I just order the book on Amazon for a ridiculously low price.

Curious
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:41 PM

You are so right about the book. I got my books mixed up. My husband read about 4 books on the battle. Eisenhower wrote "The Bitter Woods".
Theresa