Venice at New Years

Dec 21st, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Venice at New Years

I may be going to Venice (arriving from US morning of Sat Dec 29 and departing on Jan 1 (as late as possible). I've never been there before and want to know about special holiday festivities. Other than private parties, are there special things going on in the city for New Year's Eve? Concerts? Fireworks, etc.? What about New Year's Day? Any special Christmas things which will be happening through the end of the year?

Thanks.
Dec 21st, 2007, 08:48 AM

Hi Susan - Check out events on:

www.aguestinvenice.com

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Dec 21st, 2007, 08:55 AM

I spent NYE 1999 in Venice, and it was the best trip of my life. We didn't know of any plans for the holiday, but we didn't exactly seek them out either. We heard of a few gospel-type concerts but preferred to do our own thing.

We had an early dinner at a simply named restaurant...I think it was "Trattoria Venexiana". We hadn't had lunch, had worked up an appetite from walking around, and were absolutely starving. The place was almost empty (it'd just opened) so we relaxed and had a huge meal. Pasta alla buranese, spaghetti alla seppie, sarde in saor, grilled radicchio, insalata caprese, assorted Lagoon seafood, and a liter of wine. Our waiter spent his time singing, setting up a huge table for later that evening, and marveling in the fact that these two Americans were ordering so much! In the middle of our meal, the power went out in the restaurant. The waiter shouted "MILLENNIUM BAHG!" (bug!) and giggled as he went to the closet to change the fuse. We all had a good laugh because my parents and many friends warned us against travelling during the y2K scare. We figured that Venice survived for many centuries without electricity, we'd take our chances.

Then what we did was show up at St. Mark's Square before midnight. It was crowded but not unbearably so. There were fireworks, but they were unauthorized (i.e., bottle rockets shot off, some aimed toward the bell tower) and many were confiscated by police. There was much toasting of Prosecco and panettone, a few broken glasses/bottles, and even a few streakers.

I also had a new friend release the hand of his girlfriend just long enough to grab me for "un bacio" on the cheek. His girl declared in broken English while laughing: "don't WARRY, he's not gay". I'm of 100% Italian descent, so a kiss on the cheek from another guy isn't a big deal, even from a stranger. My wife thought that was the funniest thing in the world and still tells that story to friends anytime Travel or Italy comes up as a subject.

A grand procession ensued as the crowds dispersed, singing / chanting songs that sounded like a combination of Soccer Team cheers, and Holiday songs (the word Auguri was omnipresent of course!)

We stayed for six nights total, so I can't tell you what it was like travelling on New Years Day, but if you have half as much fun as I did you'll love spending New Years Eve in Venezia.

Re Christmas, most towns in Italy don't remove the decorations on the morning of Dec 26th as we tend to do here in the US. the celebration continues through the Epiphany, and we noticed decorations and overall holiday spirit through Jan 6th in other northern Italian towns.
Dec 21st, 2007, 12:15 PM

SusanC--

Thanks for starting this thread; we'll be there too, but we have a bit longer than you. I too am following the replies that are given.
Dec 24th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

OK I'm booked! Got the air tix and now need to organize lodging (yikes - pricey!) and my New Years Eve plans. Am busy with Christmas festivities at the moment but will do some research and report back later.

In the meantime julies, there is a thread about Christmas in Venice here also that may give you some other information (also one on transport which seems a bit confusing!).
Dec 24th, 2007, 11:55 AM

I'm super busy with Christmas too, in fact expecting guests in a little over 2 hours. But, I'm also obsessed with our trip so thought I'd check in here.

Susan here are a few lodging suggestions. We are renting an apartment that looks very nice at E80 a night through this agency. they've been a great agency to work through too. http://www.veniceapartments.org/

Some people use priceline, but I've never tried that. I've used this site before, but a quick check indicated that lots of places area full for your timeframe. Check the whole thing out. I didn't have time.

http://www.laterooms.com/en/Hotels.a...229&rt=0,0&c=7
Dec 24th, 2007, 01:01 PM

One more quick thought. You may want to check out Rick Steves lodging places. I know some people don't like him or his ideas, but I've found lots of good practical tips on some things in his books. I have his books for both Venice & Rome right now & certainly won't be using them all by themselves, but in combo with others. I can't remember in which one, but he says he washes his hands of you if you book a room through an agency because of the large fees they tack on. And, I think he's right. When looking for an apartment in Rome I found the exact same apartment for the exact same dates. Price from owner direct E90-95 a night. From Venere.com E147 a night.
Dec 24th, 2007, 04:04 PM

Some people prefer to pay the exorbitant agency prices because they think that guarantees better service. That has not been my experience. Glad you found something reasonable, Julie.
Dec 27th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

So I'm booked in the Hotel Campiello - recommended by Rick Steves (which gets me 10% off) as well as Fodors and Frommers and rated 50th or so by Trip Advisor.

Next to the Danieli. Reasonably priced by Venetian standards (140 Euros for a single). I thought prices were lower in off season but it doesn't seem to be the case over New Year! There was limited availability.

I leave Friday evening! Thanks for the help and advice.
Dec 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM
lyb

wow, susan, I envy you!!! Please come back and tell us about it and if you take pictures, please share them....
Last year, I was on the computer at home in California but got to watch the midnight New Year's celebration in St Marks Square through a webcam...there were lots of fireworks and people and it seemed wonderful.

Have a great time!